Wednesday, July 20, 2011

WEDNESDAYS ARE MY DAY OFF, OR ARE THEY DURING MY REHAB THERAPY CONVALESCENCE TIME ???????????...........

In the four parishes in which I have been Pastor, the day off weekly I have taken is Wednesday.  I choose as Wednesdays as the midway point of the week from Sunday to Saturday; thus putting equal work days on either side of my day off.  An appreciable in the United States do the same.  As a priest there are times when any of us have to surrender a portion, of our bonafided day off.  Yet, I make no claims to be Super-Father, with a big S-F  logo emblazoned on my chest; who doesn't need to eat, sleep, take a day off, go on vacation, or do other ordinary everyday human things.  A depleted, or tired priest, is not an effective minister of the Gospel or the People of God, for very long.  And working 7 days a week, non-stop also sets priests, like any other person up, for an adverse breakdown in our health.  Explaining that and getting parishioners to always understand or accept the reality that Father's day off is his to schedule, not theirs, can be a continuous challenge.  Other than morning Mass, or special occasions; I strive to  maintain my day off, as my day off - for rest, recreation, and redirection of my energies and efforts the remainder of the work week.  At present, being present in the rectory most of the time when I am not in church, at medical appointments, or therapy sessions, maintaining the balance between being off on Wednesdays and not being oblivious to authentic concerns on the part of others.  From my Grandmother Powers I received what I refer to in her words, being - "Even Steven".  What she did for anyone of her family members, or friends, she insisted on being able to do for all others.  I apply the same standard to my own priestly and pastoral ministry.  I do not play favorites, or put individuals or groups of persons, before the common good of the whole parish.  Currently, I am having to exercise exactly that approach to counteract attempts on the part of a select few to control me and the community, to advance their own agendas.  Given my health, therapy, and rehabilitation requirements this year, I will not be taking a vacation.  Therefore, maintaining my day off and resting, relaxing, and recreating, on Wednesdays weekly,  is even more imperative.  Besides celebrating the 8 a.m. Mass and doing my Prostheses Therapy, Wednesday requests of me will have to be need dealt with on Thursdays.  Praying The Parishioners Of  OLOL, And All In My Circle Of Friends Will Honor This Request, I Remain In Christ Jesus Who Is Lord,   Fr.  Troy 

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive