Sunday, July 31, 2011

PARISHIONER VOLUNTEERS CONTINUE TO STEP UP, WHILE PERSONAL FRIENDS STILL DO NOT...........

Okay, as my late, straightforward, tell like it is, father used to say, "Let's call a spade, a spade".  After numerous requests over the past four weeks, for volunteer helpers to assist with my home health care antibiotic infusion therapy treatments, morning and evening - in the OLOL rectory, my straightforward steadfastness in putting my need before all of you in my circle of friends and former parishioners, has all but fallen on deaf ears, as only three former parishioners, who are personal friends, have taken up the cause and volunteered.  The handful of other volunteers are OLOL of Lourdes parishioners.  Otherwise despite the sheer numbers in my personal / pastoral circle, I would be on my own, to facilitate a therapy, I cannot physically administer to myself.  It is as sad, as it is true, that only nine eleven persons total since July 6, have responded to addressing this essential need, out of more than 8,300 Catholic families and friends, I have shared my priestly ministry and personal friendship, with the past twenty four years.  Again, I can hear my father's words, through the years - "Don't be naive boy, people will put themselves first, especially when you need them most".  I never before believed that to be true, and certainly not as a blanket statement.  But after the ongoing struggle not only of recent weeks, but the past six months I have had to endure, trying to line up sufficent volunteers to do those things I must do, but cannot presently do for myself, the miniscule response, and scramble to secure willing helpers, who are not paid professionals, speaks volumes about how little a priority others in my circle place on addressing any of this.  I am not inclined to shut the door on anyone who retains the potential to assiost me, but have become much more realistic about who and what, most of you will do to help, and for the most part that means not helping, not responding, blowing off, or rationalizing away, why someone else should be doing it.  I will push forward, and do what I can to see the necessary needs are met.  The four parishioners who were among my previous seven infusion therapy volunteers, have renewed their willingness to continue helping.  Not because I asked them to, but because they care and are faithful enough to God, the Church, and their Pastor, to say YES.  And the commitment to helping me on the part of one of those parish families, despite the grief of losing their father last week, is expanding, as another sister and her husband have decided, they too, want to assist me.  I am only meeting them, so what does it say about persons I have know for decades, unwillingness to do so ?  This morning's parishioner - volunteer, signed up for two more mornings this week, and has served the priests and sisters of OLOL, and of Immaculate Conception Ellis Senior Center, for many years, by cooking - and is a first class cook, to boot.  I will continue to pray for more of you who can help me, to help me, for as I fondly and regularly say, "Many Hands Make Little Work",   Fr.  Troy

I STILL NEED VOLUNTEERS THIS WEEK ON :   W 8-3  8AM   TH 8-4  8PM   F 8-5  8PM
                                                                                      SA 8-6  10AM & 8PM   SU 8-7  8PM
WHICH DAY, TIME, AND TREATMENT, SHOULD YOUR NAME BE ON ???????????...........fr.tdp
925-5313.

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive