Thursday, July 21, 2011

MY FIRST SESSION IN THE RECTORY WITH PHYSICAL THERAPIST PHILLIP, ORIENTATION AND ASSESSMENT...........

Phillip, my home health physical therapist for the next 3-4 weeks, arrived at the rectory at 2:45 p.m., for my first session with him.  He said he was only contacted about me yesterday, as we began by his asking me background questions about my condition and history.  He then did a basic physical strength testing on my left leg and foot, adjusted the height of my walker, and had me stand up and take a walk through the rectory.  Next he asked to see and assess my bathroom, in which he raised the height of my shower chair and recommended I elevate the toilet, by placing the commode over the top of it.  He also, strongly recommended that I have several disability stainless steel bars installed; which I was planning to do.  Down the line he thinks I should get a medical supply company shower bench, which I questioned for their length and how far it might extend outside the bathtub; as while I am in a wheelchair I must be able to get it into the bathroom for use of the sink and the toilet, as well as the shower/tub.  If only I had some of the size of my former master bathroom in the St. Thomas the Apostle Parish Rectory, that I had from 1994-2000.  The shower area alone, was big enough for two shower heads, a shower chair, and bench !!!!!!!!!!!  Phillip, will be coming to work with me on Tuesdays and Thursdays, in the late afternoon.  In between he recommended that I have others, (Fr. Pius, Paul, Larry, Ray, etc.) observe me standing and walking, pushing the wheelchair behind me.  The physicaL therapy plan he laid out, was to walk not only around the kitchen counters, but between then sideways, as well as forwards and backwards.  He also plans to have me walk independently out of the rectory, down the ramp, and toward the front entrance of the church within the next few weeks...........
Push Forward !!,   Fr. Troy

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive