Sunday, February 20, 2011

A SUNDAY OF PRAYER, WORSHIP, EUCHARIST, REHABILITATION THERAPY, AND A NEW ECUMENICAL FRIEND...........

A Canadian fraternity brother of mine, made a new Facebook Friend, in recent months, that he encouraged me to befriend. He calls him, the coolest, most interesting, Mormon he has ever met. He is 31, married, an active, church going Mormon, who is aspiring to become a bodybuilder and a model. He is also quite interested in learning more about Catholicism. So my fraternity brother, thought he would introduce us online and see if I might to be able to answer some of his questions about Catholic-Christianity. He added me as a Facebook Friend this morning, and seems eager to compare what being Catholic is all about as compared to Mormonism. I invited him to consider going to a Catholic Church where he lives near Salt Lake City, and check it out. Visit and tour the church, speak to the parishioners and the parish staff, attend a Mass, when he is ready to do that, to experience what Catholic worship and community, is like. And I agreed to let him compose the questions he has personally about the Church, God, Faith, Catholicism versus Mormonism, and how he envisions all of this fitting into his life and potential future in modeling and bodybuilding. I tread carefully in discussing Catholicism, as his wife and family are staunchly Mormon, and I do not want to stir trouble, but answer the deep and authentic questions he finds himself pondering. This immediately reminded me of something Victor has said to me more than once over the past six years, regarding evangelizing as a priest. Each year of my ministry has provided introductions and interactions, similar to this one, especially with twenty and thirty somethings, and alumni fraternity brothers, which I find to be a rewarding and very affirming part of my vocation; especially when they are they are either blossoming into a new horizon of self discovery; or reactivating the foundations of their childhood faith and religious experiences. My new, ecumenical, Mormon, Facebook friend, Corey and I, may well be headed for a like experience, not necessarily focused on conversion, but a deepening of his personal Faith, as a Believer in God, and our Lord Jesus Christ. It is time for my morning wash-up, dressing, and grooming, today - which I am doing totally by myself...........A Very Happy Sunday On This Presidents' Day Thre Day Weekend, Fr. Troy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Father Troy,
Please know that the choir here at Presentation constantly has you in our prayers and our thoughts. Your endurance is such an inspiration that many of us, myself included, can only be embarrassed to mutter a complaint about any malady we may experience!
Thank you for your oourage!
Sincerely,
Phyllis Karr

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive