Sunday, February 20, 2011

SO, "NO OTHER PATIENTS WANT INTERNET", HERE, EH ?...........

In my first two days afer transferring rehabilitation locations, in order to comtinue both skilled nursing and rehab for my right foot amputation and the infection which caused it; the transfer cost me universal access to wireless internet service,for more than two days. Why because this is an outdated facility that is need of innovation and renovation, that is at least a decade overdue from the facility I came and othersuch health centers in the Sacramento area. I was told when I inquired as to how to get internet access four different answers in just two days. These four answers began with, 1.) "Wireless Service is not available". Next, 2.) "There are only a few people who want to use a computer; and none of them want to use the internet". Then, 3.) "The Business Office can help you arrange wireless access". Lastly, 4.) "We do not have wireless access, as all our computers are hard drive. You will have to buy a broadband card in a store that sells them to get the internet". Afrer more than two days of confusion and indifference on the part of the staff, to resolve the problem and failing to update me unless I personally asked the status and progress of my request, only to be misinformed, if not lied to; more than fifty hours after I made my request I was left searching for one of my friends to go to an appropriate store to buy me a pre-paid card to access the internet. My final discussions with the staff on late Friday afternoon, it was strongly inferred I was the problem and it was suggested the Business Office would be happy to assist me in going to another facility and I was asked if I had a preferred location. (I do. Mercy General Rehab Center in East Sacramento). Thus, I am in the process of requesting a room available at Mercy General Rehab, where I was meant to be discharged to, from Sutter Roseville Rehab on Friday February 11, until an unknown snafu prevented it. Saturday night at 7 p.m., Steve, from FastBreak Tech, my Rehab Advocate's Computer Technician, arrived in my room and in a quick 7 minutes had me connected to the Internet and back to my Blog, E-Mail, and Facebook, to resume communicating domestically and internationally, both with my parishioners and parish staff, and my wide circle of friends and colleagues here and abroad. I have been using the computer, when not doing my rehab therapies and exercises,or praying, reading, watching the news, resting, on the telephone, spending time with visitors, or dining. Sunday morning following the Communion Service, Ruben Serna and I had a nice conversation and he told me, he is researching and writing a book at present, but cannot continue or complete it, because he is being denied the internet to do so. And he assured me there are three or four other residents, wanting internet access, who along with himself have been told there is absolutely no wireless access available in this building. Yet, I am blogging to you on the internet vis a vis a wireless network connection, thanks to the electronic broadband card Steve from FastBreak Tech connected to my laptop Saturday night. It is wrong any and all patients here who desire to use the internet, are not allowed to do so, due to the facility's lack of current, all but standard, near universal, technology in the United States, that is totally available 24 / 7 to everyone at the othe rehab center I was at. It is also an injustice to those whose professional or personal lives makes computer internet access, all but indispensable in our daily lives. According to the therapists at Sat the first rehab I was in, for those undergoing rehabilitation for the restoration of their health, it is also considered Recreational Therapy. Sadly, the unfortunate reality in this health facility, is behind the times and denying a vital outlet for the ongoing work and responsibilities of patients who need it. In summary, given my more than 80 hours of frustration and anxiety, induced by this shortcoming, and that is being endured by several others for a protracted period, I ask, are the staff and management being indifferent,uncaring, or lacksadaisical, in addressing a legitimate need and request, they could and should undeniably be providing ?..........

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive