Wednesday, April 20, 2011

MY FIRST AMPUTEE SUPPORT GROUP MEETING A VERY POSITIVE EXPERIENCE...........

I taxied to and from the Anchor Prosthetics Office, at the intersection of Auburn Boulevard and Watt Avenue this evening and had a delightful ninety minute plus experience of meeting other amputees and their caregivers, sharing stories and experiences, and enjoying very good food, including Manicotti, Garlic Bread, Salad, Fresh Fruit, and my contribiution to the meal, Sugar Free Angel Food Cake.  We had a well rounded discussed which Cruz, our Support Group Leaderand a left leg amputee of eight years from a motorcycle accident, facilitated a well flowing conversation.  He opened and closed with me, having me tell my story after introducing me, but not telling the others that I am a priest.  Cruz, I think had me begin with that, and had me tell the group I am a priest; and then talk about the past 88 - 99 days of my experience.  The discussion came to my explanation of where things stand with getting my temporary prostheses placed on my right foot and leg, after Cruz, Mike, John, Jim, Jeremy, the other amputees who were also present with spouses and caregivcers, showed; described; and demonstrated;, their prosthetic legs and feet with me.  Cruz concluded when I mentioned it could be another 6 weeks or so before my temporary prostheses goes on, due to the one remaining scab atop the amputation that needs to heal, and Dr. Cookson's visit to Israel for three weeks in ewarly May; that Anchor may have a prostheses that can be placed sooner, that will help the area to heal.  It is similar to the system he and Mike, themselves wear.  So I will contact Dr. Cookson, and put Cruz in touch with him to discuss proceeding with that possibility.  In sharing my story with the group tonight, I mentioned my plans to attend Father Tom Daly's Ordination as Bishop in San Jose on May 25, and hopefully traveling to Indianapolis, for Father Dan Donohoo's Silver Jubilee of Priesthood, the first weekend of June, but not alone.  The others questioned why I will only go of I take a caregiver with me, thinking I am capable at this point to attend on my own, along with my wheelchair.  Taking no chances on something untoward happening, nmy preference is to travel with someone else.   It was a great start to developing a support group structure, as I find those who were present to be a family of fellow amputees.  I look forward to the next Amputee Support Group gathering on Wednesday May 18............Fr.  Troy

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive