Thursday, September 24, 2009

A VERY GOOD ENDING TO AN OTHERWISE TOPSY TURVY DAY 30 AFTER MY TRANSPLANT.........

Given the way in which this 30th day after my kidney transplant began, with my sisters pulling out on me in the wee hours of the morning and my emotional rollercoaster going into overdrive for several hours, this day is ending on much more productive and positive notes. First, the very good labs and follow-up reports at the Mayo Clinic this morning as chronicled in my earlier blog column today; Second, the all important fact that Jeremy is here and will be staying with me through the next 24 days and my return to Sacramento, on October 17; Third, Father Oliver's timely and as always, generous, fraternal and helpful visit, assisting with my caregiving and serving as the all important antidote to the downward spiral of my emotional rollercoaster; Fourth, knowing that there are far more persons who unconditionally care and are here for me interpersonally, spiritually, prayerfully, financially, loyally, from hundreds to thousands of miles away, who are my undeniable, God Is Good FAMILY, and stick with me through thick and thin, without exception. Those four things and the support and companionship of Jeremy and Oliver in getting me through this topsy turvy day, have made a real and positive difference in my attitude and confidence tonight. This afternoon's appointment with the Diabetic Nurse at Mayo, was also an affirming experience. She was pleased to welcome Oliver and Jeremy as my current caregivers and was satisfied with the detailed, written record, Jeremy has kept for the past 5 days of my blood sugar counts, so that she could map out an insulin plan for the coming 2 weeks. Her adjustments after immense difficulty two weeks ago, in even devising a way forward, was to leave the basal level of Novalog short term insulin 3 times a day, at 12 units, with a sliding scale of extra units above 150; and to increase the Lantus long term insulin nightly, to 40 units, to address the higher than desired pre-breakfast blood sugars I am getting. According to her, the hopeful sign now and going forward is the 99 and 110, blood sugars that I have had recorded as well, in the past 5 days. So all in all, I have reason to celebrate and to be optimistic tonight and I am. A lesson I learned some years ago, also applies. "Throw good money, after bad", which can be paraphrased, 'Embrace a much more positive experience to supplant a lesser satisfying one', is my way forward to a constructive and fulfilling conclusion. In other words, "Keep my eye on the prize", and my post transplant will please God, be full healing, restored health, return to fulltime ministry, and resuming a pastorate of the Church, soon. I hope this blog column has achieved its intentions- sharing my wholistic post transplant experience with all of you, honestly and reporting my authentic experiences during these weeks of convalescence and required caregiving with unvarnished truth and accuracy. Peace and Prayers, overnight and for a a fantastic Friday,.........Fr. Troy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew, I got tired just reading that!! Are you too unstable with your insulin that you can't do a pump? I know my brother, Drew, loves his. Maybe it would be something down the road that you can look into. What happened with your sisters? Have a great day and keep looking up! You'll be home before you know it. Mary C.

Unknown said...

MARY,
THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENT IN RESPONSE TO LAST NIGHT'S BLOG COLUMN. IT MUST BE TELEPATHY, GIVEN YOUR REFERENCE TO AN INSULIN PUMP AS I HAD THAT DISCUSSION WITH THE DIABETIC NURSE YESTERDAY AND SHE HAS WRITTEN ME A PRESCRIPTION TO GET ONE. IT WILL BE FOR THE SHORT TERM INSULIN, BUT WILL CERTAINLY SIMPLIFY THINGS, ESPECIALLY WHEN AWAY FROM HOME. HOW LONG HAS DREW USED ONE ? PERHAPS I SHOULD HAVE A DISCUSSION WITH HIM ABOUT IT.........I THINK MY SISTERS WERE OVEREXTENDED WITH THE DEGREE OF CAREGIVING REQUIRED OF A TRANSPLANT RECIPIENT. MY ANTI REJECTION DRUGS INDUCED ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENTS WERE PROBABLY ALSO A FACTOR. I KNOW MY INTERPERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS WITH OTHER CAREGIVERS AND CLOSE FRIENDS WERE.........THANKS FOR CARING AND SHARING WITH ME SO FAITHFULLY MARY...LOVE + PRAYERS, TROY

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive