Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A MOST WONDERFUL FIRST DAY THIS VISIT WITH ONE OF MY BEST FRIENDS.........

Day 28 after my kidney transplant yesterday, was one of the fullest and most active days of my convalescence period yet, a most enjoyable and fulfilling day, with my seminary classmate, priestly colleague, loyal friend and spiritual brother, Reverend Father Oliver Maher, of Kilkenny, Ireland. As my primary caregiver Jeremy Lipp, has already observed since Oliver's arrival in Phoenix Monday night, he can tell the major difference having Father Oliver here is positively having upon me. I can truly say if it is possible for a Catholic priest to have a soulmate, Oliver is definitely one of mine. We are truly in sync in a most effective and unconditional way, even though we are 6,000 miles apart most of the time. As one of our mutual Irish friends Brigid Mullins, in Kilkenny, a great friend to me herself, told me more than a decade ago, "Troy, we all know who your best friend in Ireland is, and his name is Oliver Maher". That surely has been and continues to be the truth, in season and out of season, through the ups and downs of our lives, daily, weekly, monthly, year after year, for over 27 years to date. Yesterday he not only took me grocery shopping, to the bank and post office, but guided us to the Lake Pleasant marina and recreational area, 12 miles down the Carefree Highway, given our mutual enjoyment of such scenery. And tonight he prepared the meat, corn, and potato salad, we had for dinner, with an assist from Jeremy, who did the BBQ-ing. Oliver is himself a great cook, having learned well from his late mother Noreen, who I affecctionately referred to as, "Mother Maher". One recipe he makes particularly stands out for me and he has said he will cook it during this week, that is, Spaghetti Bolognaise. It is by far one of his specialty dishes and simply scrumptious as well. Oliver's visit is also not only interpersonal and morale focused, but one of caregiving too. He and Jeremy are taking charge of providing my primary caregiving this next week, including accompanying me to my Mayo Clinic labs and visits. And yes, my fine friend wil also find time to do a little, "retail therapy", at one of the local malls in the vicinity, Macy's being his favorite American store. The icing on my Oliver cake yesterday were phone calls shared with my Sacramento classmate, Father Eduino, my second father and vocational mentor, Msgr. Ed Kavanagh, and my very dear 31 year CSUS and Washington, D.C., friend and brother, Curtis Richards. There continuing support, encouragement, and counsel, are helping keep my spirits high. Tonight also brought a blog comment from my Sacramento area friend Mary Carson, which I appreciate very much. The night owl in me, is fading so I will sign off for now, only to write further blog updates later as this new day, #29, post transplant, progresses. God Love You.........Fr. Troy

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive