Tuesday, September 15, 2009

3 WEEKS AFTER MY KIDNEY TRANSPLANT : PROUDLY PROGRESSING DAILY.........

It has been 3 weeks today since my kidney transplant at the Mayo Clinic Hospital Arizona, here in Phoenix. Surprisingly to me, I am feeling much better and stronger than I thought things would be at this point. Other than the urinary tract and blood bacteria infection of ten days ago, which the antiobiotic regimen I am taking has effectively gotten under control, my condition is improving with each day that passes. I am feeling stronger by the day and the Transplant Team and others are commenting on how much better I look. My urine production has increased from only 6-8 ounces voided daily prior to the transplant, to 64-80 ounces daily post transplant. I am voiding at least hourly throughout the day and every 2 hours on an average overnight. My appetite has returned with a prolific passion, as I rediscover foods and beverages I was not allowed to eat or drink on a renal failure diet. My blood sugars are elevated, due to the anti-rejection drugs I am taking, which was expected to happen. Avoiding frustration and stress is important in that regard also. A lack of patience and frustration when things do not go as expected, are a lifelong shortcoming, and temper my otherwise positive feelings and good morale. The personality change I was told to expect due to my post transplant medications has not really taken hold, although I do have my moments. The ability to communicate beyond this convalescence house and Phoenix, is an indispensable part of the frustration and stress I have described, which is why the phone, mail, e-mails, and my blog, are vital ingredients in maintaining a positive and constructive attitude. I am also very happy to have retained my lucidity and am trying not to sweat too many bullets over meeting the daily expenses and cash flow to make those payments daily. I have spent over $7,000.00 more of my own money in the past three weeks for more than $30,000.00 in personal outlays for my kidney transplant in the past 4 months, with with just under $10,000.00, in donations and $1,300.00, in reimbursements, thus far. But I am confident God, Bishop Soto, and the Diocese, and my family and friends, will continue to support me and see me through this financial challenge. I am also grateful to the Mayo Clinic for covering their pre transplant medical costs, and Blue Shield, for covering the costs of the actual transplant and post transplant hospitalization expenses. My prayers and personal reflection have me thinking about other transplant candidates who are not in a financial position to meet the personal expenses of a transplant. I am starting to believe my post transplant ministry may entail in part, advocating for kidney transplantation and finding ways to assist others with the start up costs of preparing for a kidney transplant. That's in the future. Presently, I strive to push forward in coming weeks to full healing. My sisters, Alice and Alene, Jeremy Lipp, Fr. Oliver Maher, Paul and Sharon Freidrich, who like Joe DiMarco has, will be care giving for me the next 5 weeks, andI am confident my faithful and loyal circle of friends and past and present parishioners, will be with me in this vital endeavor.........Peace + Prayers, Fr. Troy David Powers.........

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive