Sunday, September 20, 2009

THE HALFWAY POINT IN MY MAYO CLINIC, PHOENIX ARIZONA, KIDNEY TRANSPLANT EXPERIENCES.........

It is 26 days following my kidney transplant at the Mayo Clinic Arizona, here in Phoenix and the precise halfway point in my extended convalescence stay. Part One is done and Part Two is starting and brimming with positive energy and hope filled expectations. The first half of my stay has been breaking into the post transplant requirements and the trials and errors of learning to get things right. I am grateful for the assistance my sisters and volunteers are providing me as caregivers, but also very much appreciate that to date, I have retained my lucidity and have been able to assure that certain components of the caregiving not get lost in the shuffle of daily events. The Mayo Clinic is meticulous in providing us with instructions and directions, - the challenge is following them, referring to them, and writing it down, so as to be able to do all that is necessary without overlooking anything or second guessing ourselves. The Transplant Team has been very helpful, patient, and understanding, of the times we have come up short and gently but directly, reminded us to do things better in the future. As I have said before, a lack of patience when things do not happen as they are suppose to, has always been one of my chief weaknesses. That is now exacerbated by the frustration and upset caused by the anti-rejection drugs I am taking. Currently all my daily meds add up to 70 tablets a day. My standards of expectation are high, on this front due in part to the outstanding retired R.N., Mary Ann Pujals, who was my primary caregiver for a more than 15 month period 5 and 7 years ago, in the early months and years after I was diagnosed, operated on, and convalescing, for my diabetes. After 45 years as a nurse at Mercy Hospital, her focus, attention to detail, and daily presence were perfect. I am not complaining, rather comparing the experiences, realizing it is like the difference between apples and oranges. The Transplant Center specifically requires primary caregivers be family members or personal friends, in order that the transplant recipient (me) am more than just another patient of hard working nurses or other paid semi-pro caregivers. Why ? So that the focus be on my needs and constant care, during this initial convalescence and so that, companionship / friendship, is included, as a vital ingredient as well. That only truly comes with a volunteer nurse like Mary Ann, or the family and friend relationships that I have, such as with my sisters, Alice and Alene, and my friends/parishioners, Jeremy, Joe, Paul, Sharon, Dave, Fr. Oliver, et al...So as we start the second half of this Mayo Clinic Arizona / Trapanotto House post transplant convalescence period, I am very hopeful things will continue to improve on all fronts and that my healing and care will proceed auccessfully, so as to return me to Sacramento, strengthened and renewed, if not quite yet completed with my initial convalesence period afrer my kidney transplant.........Gratefully Yours in Jesus the Christ, Fr. Troy

P.S. - One more reminder : My mailing address while in Phoenix until October 17, is -

515 EAST CAREFREE HIGHWAY #163
PHOENIX, ARIZONA 85085

Please send all mail to that Address and NOT to the house address. THANK YOU for all your cards, gifts, and calls.........TDP

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

By yesterday's blog I'm hoping you got all the mail that was sent to the Trapanotto address! I also had sent two cards to that address. Glad to get the new one. I'm happy to see that you are progressing well. Wow, that is a lot of pills to keep track of. Stay stress free and let people help you out!! Mary C.

Anonymous said...

Father Troy:

We are so glad that you are on the path to come back to us at Presentation! We miss you and are grateful that things are working out well for you. Good health is so important, now you will have a chance to feel better than you have in years...

Also good to know the correct address, there was some confusion amongst the parishioners...the correct address (515 East Carefree Highway #163 etc.) was printed in today's bulletin (9/20/09)
With love,

Paul Sweeney and Kim Kinler

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive