Sunday, May 22, 2011

THE TRADE-OFF FOR SUNNY WEATHER IN REGARDS TO SUNDAY MASS ATTENDANCE...........

I am sixty four days back in the parish, since the start of my hospitalization, rehabilitation, and therapy, earlier this year.  From the Mass attendance my first weekend back March 19 / 20; through  the rest of Lent, to this point in the Easter Season, including Confirmation, and First Eucharist; OLOL's Sunday Mass attendance grew by much more than double.  It crescendoed on Easter Sunday, but maintained a significant increase over normal Sundays for the Sacramental Initiation celebrations, and then leveled off the past two weeks.  Are Catholics less concerned with the wrongly predicted 'Rapture', that did not occur last night would argue so, but I also believe it has as much to do with what I call, 'Summer-itis'.  As the sunny, warm, summer, weather, sets in, so does a drop in the numbers present for Sunday Eucharist.  As I continue to observe it, other recreational and athletic events, take precedence over being at Mass, for many Catholic-Christians.  Summer-itis sets in; and the unofficial start of summer, Memorial Day, is still a week away.  Today's total was two dozen persons higher than it was nine weeks ago, an optimistic sign.  Hopefully, two weeks from today, presence and participation on Sunday, will be increased, as it is our annual, Parish Festival Sunday.  It is our largest parish fundraiser, and from my presence at the Festival last year, it is a well attended, eclectic, multi-cultural, event.  It is an indispensable supplement to our financially tight parish budget.  The Parish Festival Sunday this year, coincides with the Silver Jubilee of Ordination to Priesthood, of my Indianapolis, Indiana, classmate and colleague, Reverend Father Daniel B. Donohoo.  I was there for his priestly Ordination twenty five years ago, and had every intention of being there with him for his Silver Jubilee.  Any other year, and I would attend, but given this is my first year as Pastor of OLOL, I will remain here for the Parish Festival; hopefully with the appreciation of the People of God, I am here to serve and lead.  The next three weeks will be busier than usual, as I write and finalize preparation of the 1st annual 'State Of The Parish' Address, I will deliver, at all three Masses on Pentecost Sunday, June 12...........With Faith In Christ Jesus, "the Way, the Truth, the Life",   Fr.  Troy   

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive