Tuesday, May 3, 2011

THE 10TH DAY OF EASTER 2011 IS THE FEAST OF SAINTS PHILLIP AND JAMES, APOSTLES...........

Twenty four years ago today, at this hour - May 3, 1987, at 12 noon;  I presided at my First Mass of Thanksgiving as a Priest of Jesus Christ.  My First Mass was celebrated in St. Rose's Church at 38th Avenue and Franklin Boulevard, in South Sacramento.  May 3, is normally the liturgical Feast of Saints Phillip and James, Apostles of the Lord.  But in 1987, it was the 3rd Sunday of Easter.  The Gospel Proclamation on that day was Luke 24:13-35; the Story of the Road To Emmaus.  It was a wonderful Concelebrated Liturgy, with eleven other priests joining me at the Altar.  My Indianapolis classmate, Reverend Father Daniel Barrett Donohoo, was scheduled to be the Homilist, but having been ordained a priest himself, eleven months earlier, he was transferred that week to his second priestly parish appointment in the Archdiocese of Indianapolis.  So, Monsignor Edward J. Kavanagh, was the Homilist, and fittingly so, being my mentor, close friend, and second father.  My sisters Alice and Alene, and my brother Thomas, did the Scripture Readings, and my personal friends, Curtis Richards, Teres Mugnaini, and Reverend Father Tobias Vereker, shared in leading the General Intercessions.  A Post Communion Reflection was delivered by Monsignor Gerard Schons.  A terrific Reception and Dinner followed in the Kavanagh Hall, as some 400 persons shared in the festivities.  Speakers that day included, Reverend Father Jeremiah Boland, Sister Mary Dominica Cunningham, RSM,  the former County Supervisor I worked for as a college student intern, Ted Sheedy - and my Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity Century Brother, David Bugatto.  And to think, two dozen years have passed, and one year from now we will be celebrating the 25th Anniversary of my Ordination to the Priesthood !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  One thing that was missing from my Ordination and First Mass celebrations, will be included next year, please God : a group of my Kilkenny friends and priests, the so called, "Usual Suspects".  Thank God for these past 24 Years of pastoral ministry as a Priest of Jesus Christ.  Through all the challenges I have had to endure during the last decade, the parishes and diocesan ministries I have been privileged to serve in ministering to the People of God, I cherish now, as much as ever.  Thank You.....Bless You.....God Be Good To You...........Fr.  Troy David Powers

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive