Monday, October 17, 2011

MY FIRST ZYVOX ANTIBIOTIC INFUSION THERAPY TREATMENT GOES SMOOTHLY...........

Gathered with home health nurse Susan Boyce, Jack Pennington, Bill Shepherd, and at the end of the treatment, Fr. Pius, the four of us were trained to use the new, larger, infusion pump for my latest antibiotic, Zyvox.  With a clear, concise, and common sense, instructional teaching style, and eagerness on our parts to learn the procedures of preparing and priming the pump, learning how to thread the line inside the pump after hanging the 600 mg bag of zyvox on the rolling stand with the infusion pump attached, and programming in the numerical rate and volume of the treatment to be administered; all which I practiced along with the others, Nurse Susan had me sterile my port - apply the saline through the port connection - and connect the tubing to the port in my chest.  Idid this with continuing, though minimal, difficulty; the challenge for me and my physicality being how not to let go, or drop down the port end, after applying the alcohol wipe to it.  With time and practice, I will hopefully progress in doing it successfully.  The 6 p.m. training and practice took 47 minutes and the two hour infusion treatment began.  Jack, and Bill, went home then and Susan, remained with me for the full duration of the infusion.  The pump counts down the 300 ml, and we had only one alarm with 233 ml infused which Susan addressed successfully within a minute, so that the 2 hour treatment that began at 6:47 p.m. concluded at 8:48 p.m.  My pre treatment blood pressure was 130 / 80; and rose to 150 / 80; during the infusion, and was 150 / 90; after the infusion.  Jack and Patty Pennington are this morning's connect / disconnect volunteers,  and Bill and Ruby Shepherd will be here for tonight's treatment.  They and I, can can now show my other volunteers to date, or others of you in my circle, willing to volunteer to assist with these infusions.  Hopeful It Will Succeed In Tandem With The
Selfless Assistance Of Others...........Fr.  Troy

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive