Monday, March 21, 2011

MY HEALTH RECOVERY TRANSITION FROM HOSPITALIZATION, AMPUTATION, REHABILITATION, TO CONVALESCENCE...........

With first Sunday back at Our Lady of Lourdes, and the successful completion of 2 Masses, I surprise Potluck for Sister Felicity's  Birthday, greeting parishioners at the third Sunday Mass, attending the Hosapitality Sunday following the 10:30 a.m. Mass, and chillaxing alone for the afternoon, as Roger went home until 6 p.m., when he returned for the night with more projrects in addition to bringing us fiid, and also providing a dinner of beef roast which wafted beautiful aroma through the rectory all morning and afternoon.  Father Pius will move in tomorrow afternoon, and Joe McNamara, whose St. Patrick's Party I missed on Saturday due a late afternoon departure from Rehab and my commitment to presidinhg at the 5 p.m. Saturday Vigil Mass, also called this afternoon to confirm his overnight caregiving for me Monday and Tuesday.
Roger and I had a very enjoyable and productive second overnight Sunday, and awoke for 8 a.m. Mass, a light breakfast, a trip to the bank to make a vital catch-up deposit, so as to pay my personal bills, including my telephone landline and wireless accounts.  Back to the rectory for an early lunch, Roger left me for home at just before Noon and I successfully soldiered on my own in the rectory with the bookkeeper here until 1 p.m., and on my own until 3:30 p.m., when Fr. Pius, my new Parochial Vicar Pro-Tem, arrived with his belongings to move in.  Sister Felicity accompanied him and she and I had a great chat for several minutes.  My Monday and Tuesday night caregiver, Joe McNamara is due here in the next two hours.  He will be bringing dinner and so I look forward to what he and his wife Deborah surprise me with.  I am planning to do some of my physical therapy standing with the walker exercise with him as well as inaugurate my new shower chair by taking a shower before we call it a night.  In the first two days I have been back in the rectory Ihave only had to take a generic pain reliever once, at 1 a.m. this morning, thus the pain in my right leg and left back are both much lesser than they had been.  The ramps that Merv Carson built for me and the portable aluminum ramp Scott Vogelsang loaned me, are working magnificently, in getting in and out of the rectory and into the church and parish hall.  Thanks and Kudos again to both of them for their personal, fraternal, and friendship concern for my well being and mobility.  Oir mutual Lambda Chi Alpha bond of brotherhood continues to thrive.  That's me up to the moment as I begin to look in on some of the evening network and cable news shows and await what I know will be another superb dinner...........Conscientiously Convalescing As I Await My Prostheses,   Fr.  Troy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Father Powers is demonstrating that people with disabilities, including those with recently acquired disabilities, can and do live, play and work successfully, especially with strong and reliable community supports. Thanx to all those helping out; and keep doing what you do best, Troy!!!!!

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive