Saturday, December 25, 2010

O HOLY NIGHT.....CHRISTMAS NIGHT WHEN THE LIGHT OF OUR SALVATION FIRST SHONE ON EARTH WITH JOY AND PEACE..........

The 8:30 am and 10:30 am Christmas Day Masses at OLOL this morning were attended by  63 persons at the first one, and  75 persons at the second one.  Reverend Father Anthony Traynor, our Pastor Emeritus, (1988 - 2004) presided and preached at the 8:30 am Mass, which I concelebrated with him; and I celebrated the 10:30 am Mass.   The Canossian Sisters, Sister Felicity and St, Theresa, with Delores Rhodes Culpepper, our St. Vincent DePaul Ministry Coordinator, provided small Christmas gift bags, for the children and our seniors, at the front doors of the church this morning, an excellent act of giving and generosity that is the true spirit of Christmas.  Out in the wider community I have been favorably struck by the spirit of Christmas at Sacramento and Roseville's Sutter Hospitals.  My first hospital affiliation and ongoing relationship has been with the Mercy General and Mercy San Juan Hospitals.  Having been born, operated on for eye surgery as a child at Mercy General, where all my brothers and sisters were born and my mother died twenty eight years ago; and serving as Relief Chaplain at Mercy San Juan the first five years I was a priest in 1987-1992; but for the past eight years plus my medical team of doctors who are associated with Sutter Roseville Hospital, I have had my medical procedures and hospital stays there.  This Christmas Sutter has a set of living Donor Trees up in the Hospital, the largest approximately 15-20 feet high and wafting a fragrant pine scent through the lobby and on the second floor, where my most recent appointments have been.  That too, is the spirit of Christmas - generously showing care for others, and not with artificial glitz, but the real thing, Christmas trees that are alive, as I believe they should be.  This afternoon before my Christmas Dinner, I spoke with friends on the telephone I did not see yesterday or today, including some of my friends in Ireland.  The late afternoon and early evening I have been watching Classic Christmas shows on TV Land.  The, "Bewitched", 1964 first season Christmas show and The Andy Griffith, 1960 first season Christmas show, being two of all my all time favorites.  Celebrating Christmas Evening Prayer, listening to Christmas Carols, and watching a couple of Hallmark Channel Christmas Movies, will round out this Holy Night of the Christ Child's Nativity.  Stuffing the Feast of the Holy Family Sunday Bulletins for tomorrow and setting out the 2011 Parish Calendars, and Offertory Envelopes, are on tap tonight as well.  Here's hoping you and your families are burning the home fires of the spirit of Christmas tonight and will continue to, for the next 16 Days of the Christmas Season...........I Am Gratefully Yours In Our Messiah Jesus The Christ - The Lord Of Light And Redeemer Of Humankind,   Fr.  Troy

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive