Friday, December 31, 2010

THE 7TH DAY OF CHRISTMAS MEMORIALIZES ST SYLVESTER I, POPE..........

This 7th Day of Christmas, the last day of  Year 2010, is here and revelry, and looking back on the 365 days now ending. is the key to the day.  After 8 am Mass, I must see that the 20111 Parish Calendars, and Sunday Offertory Envelopes, are set out for distribution tonight, tomoroow, and Sunday.  I will ask some of the parishioners present to help do that.  Late morning I will be returning my Enterprise Rent a Car, and picking up my 2005 Chevrolet Malibu from Paul Blanco EZ Auto.  Then, I must fine tune my New Year's / Solemnity of Mary Mother of God  homily for tonight and tomorrow; and the Epiphany homily for Sunday.  New Year's Eve in my family growing up as a boy to young adult, was a low key occasion, spent in my grandparents Corey home, enjoying Portruguese food and snacks, watching Guy Lombardo and in the latter years, Dick Clark.  I have kept that family tradition and will do likewise tonight.  Today's liturgical focus in addition to being the 7th Day of Christmas, is St. Sytlvester I, a Pope of the Church in the 4th Century, 314-335 A.D., during the reign of Emperor Constantine.  St. Sylvester was Pope when the Dedication of the Lateran Basilica occurred.  He also sent two legates to the Council of Nicea, in 325 A.D., at which the original Profession of Faith, (Nicene Creed) was formulated.  Pope Sylvester was also a staunch opponent of the heresy, Arianism.  The Christmas Gospes l at Mass on this 7th Day, is from John's First Chapter and the Prologue proclaiming, "The Word Made Flesh Who Dwells Among Us", from the third Christmas Mass - During the Day, last Saturday December 25th..........Prayers And Peace, As You Experience This 7th Day Of Christmas And Last Day Of The Year of Our Lord 2010,   Fr.  Troy

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive