Thursday, October 1, 2009

WHILE CONVALESCING IN PHOENIX THESE PAST 40 DAYS, CARDS, CALLS, AND CORRESPONDENCE, ARE KEEPING ME CONNECTED.........

On this 40th day since arriving in Phoenix and the 38th day after my kidney transplant at Mayo Clinic Arizona, this protracted period of convalescence away from Sacramento has been lightened by the continuous outreach of so many of you dear friends and parishioners in the Sacramento Diocese, throughout the country and across the miles in Ireland. The fidelity with which get well greeting cards, and Mass intention requests are arriving and the phone calls from my colleagues and inner circle of friends, has truly made a difference in my spirit and morale. I look forward to what each day brings, as a further sign that I remain connected to all of you, despite being away for this time. The interpersonal visits live in Phoenix, over the phone, or through the mail and internet, have been a real boon to my healing process. Today, I have my summary appointment with one of the Transplant Team Doctors, to review my progress over the past 5.5 weeks, including my kidney biopsy, ultrasound, and blood pressure monitoring, earlier this week. I then have two more weekly follow-up appointments at the Mayo Clinic here, before flying back to Sacramento, on October 17. The culmination of Father Oliver's nine day visit to me yesterday, has been supplemented during the past week by phone calls from Ray Riehle, Curtis Richards, Father Dan Donohoo, Victor Herrera, Msgr. Edward Kavanagh, Bishop Jaime Soto, e-mails from Joe Gibson, Dave McAfee, Paul & Sharon Friedrich, Ramona Bugatto, Mary Carson, Carole Salerno, Suzanne Cottrell, Patricia Shortall, Father Dan Bollard, and mail from, Rose & Jack Sapanaro, Mike, Amy, Jacob, & Sarah Glaser, Vince Salas, Sue Ellen & Ken Scribner, John Lottes, Pauline Mitchell, Kellie, Patrick, Moran & Family, as well as my daily Phoenix correspondents, Karin & Roger Geach. I also had a wonderful phone conversation with Msgr. James Church. These 37 persons are but a representative group of the dozens upon dozens of others, who have communicated with me during my time here in transplant mode. Thank You one and all, for caring enough about me to remember and reach out to me. The Geaches latest card, sums up my hope filled expectation for my priestly vocation and ministry. It reads, "Encourager, Counselor, Teacher, Preacher, Leader, Comforter". I pray that past, present, and future, God continues to empower me with the blessings to fulfill those roles effectively in the lives of the People Of God, I was ordained a Priest of Jesus Christ to serve. Please God, my kidney transplant and restored health, will afford me further opportunities very soon, to pastor again as a, "Faithful Witness", to Jesus the Christ. Love, Appreciation + Prayers,.........Father Troy David Powers

3 comments:

Joe McNamara said...

Troy,

In honor of Oliver's visit, I posted the video of his 1989 trip with mother Maher. I also included your homily from the 2oth anniversary.

Follow this link: www.youtube.com/user/TroyDavid Powers

Enjoy and share it with your followers!

CAn't wait to have your welcome home dinner!
Joe Mc

Unknown said...

THANKS TERRIFICALLY JOE...FOR THE MEMORIES AND FOR THE ANTICIPATED CELEBRATION TO COME.........tdp

Unknown said...

MORE WONDERFUL AND THOUGHTFUL FRIENDS HAVE CONTACTED ME THIS WEEK...JOE & DEBORAH MCNAMARA, MICHELLE CAMINA, SHELLY TREDWAY, IRENE PERICIC, KIM & NICOLA WELCH, SCOTT MCKENNA, ROB ALLEN, AMONG THEM.........GRATEFULLY YOURS, tdp

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive