Friday, October 23, 2009

ROUNDING OUT MY FIRST WEEK BACK IN SACRAMENTO POST TRANSPLANT.........

After spending Thursday, chillaxing, with my only activity outside my quarters in the rectory was to go over to the monthly Men's Club gathering in the Nano Nagle Centre at Presentation of the BVM Church, I am blogging early this a.m., as I watch my friend Dan Elliott on News 10 Good Morning. Their cooverage led by Dan, of the H1N1 story has been truly excellent this week. And this morning he is reporting breaking news on one of the roommate's thoughts about what may have caused the student murder at my alma mater, Sac State. What a sad story and senseless crime. It conjures up in my memory the heinious murders of CSUS students, Craig Miiller and Mary Beth Sowers in 1980, after their abduction from Arden Fair by psychopathic murderer, Gerald Gallego. That occurrence is burnt into my psyche, as just three weeks before it transpired I had worked with Craig Miller on an InterFraternity Council project for Homecoming 1980, at CSUS. Learning that the victim of the current crime, student Scott Hawkins, from Santa Clara was disabled and had Asperger's Syndrome, a high autististic disorder and that an halluengenic drug, DMT, may have provoked the attack and death, makes it all the more poignant.........My wider activity exercise-wise today will be to attend the monthly Sacramento area Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity Alumni Luncheon, downtown at the Fox & Goose, the October venue. After a year or so of monthly alumni lunches being held, this is the first one I have been able to attend, due to my previous dialysis treatments the past two and a half years. What a joy it is to have reclaimed my Monday-Wednesday-Friday afternoons and early evenings since my kidney transplant two months ago, by being freed up to do other things and attend events like the fraternity alumni lunch. It wil be a sweet reunion with my fraternity brothers, who in recent months have been in regular contact with me by e-mail and on Facebook, especially in this post transplant period. I had a number of phone conversations yesterday of a welcome home / I'm back nature, including with Ray Riehle, Noe Perez, and my fellow ordinand, Father Eduino Silveira, Pastor of St. Philomene's Parish, here in Arden Arcade. He has asked me to celebrate the 5:30 p.m. Mass at St. Philomene's tomorrow night, as he will be presiding at a Centennial Mass at St. Elizabeth's Portuguese National Parish, where he was the Pastor from 1991-2005. I am looking forward to seeing and visiting with the St. Philomene's parishioners, who I was planning to go and greet this weekend anyway. I am feeling good and discovering my renewed strengths and abilities to fend for myself increasingly is happening without difficulty. I have found it possible to complete everything I have attempted thus far, and that my body clock is adjusting nicely, so that I am taking a good quality afternoon nap each day and yet sleeping solidly for my customary 4-6 hours overnight, which has been my norm for the past 7.5 years. Time to lay down for a couple more hours of morning rest/sleep, before officially starting my Friday.........Love + Prayers, Fr. Troy the Transplanted...Day 59 Post Transplant

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive