Monday, October 5, 2009

DAY 39, 40, 41, AFTER TRANSPLANT I AM BACK IN MAYO CLINIC ARIZONA HOSPITAL.........

Sorry for not having blogged since Saturday morning, but since 4:15 p.m., Saturday afternoon I have been back in Mayo Clinic Hospital in Phoenix, with a second urinary tract infection and bacteria in the blood. Dr. Hamawi and the Transplant Team confirm I am contending with very the same thing as four weeks ago, with the same "junk" in the urine, using a team member's word. Dave, the Physician's Assistant on the team said at the 6 week mark after transplant, it might also be a CMV, a virus common to post transplant patients at this stage in the process. Saturday morning I awoke had my breakfast, watched the news on CNN and MSNBC, wrote my blog column, had my mid morning snack, and my body started to feel very tired. I napped in the big, overstuffed chair in the living room, felt feverish, skipped lunch and my noon meds, not feeling able for them, and at 2 p.m. when Paul Friedrich, my weekend caregiver took my temperature it was 102.5 F. Two 500 mg. Tylenol, and an hour later, my temperature had only dropped to 102.2 F. As required, Paul called the weekend transplant coordinator, who told him to bring me to the Emergency Room. He and Jeremy did so, in just 15 minutes, with Jeremy driving skillfully fast down the freeway, with me retching all the way. My Triage Room temperature at 4:30 p.m., Saturday was 98.9 F, but continued to increase all night and into Sunday to as high as 101.9 F. My vomiting continued until past Midnight Saturday, making it difficult to watch Saturday Night Live, after Jeremy and Paul went back to the house. Dave the P.A., scaled back my anti-rejection drug dosage of Cellcept from 1,000 mg., to 500 mg., and ordered a clear liquid diet until all the blood labs and cultures results were back for analysis this morning. My shift nurse Andrea, has been told I can return to a full food diet as of dinner tonight. I have just watched a self catherization video demonstration and read the paperwork, before the nurse walks me through it. I will do the catherizing four times a day for a short period of time. Andrea brought me a 4 p.m. snack of graham crackers, peanut butter, and chocolate pudding, solid food for the first time in 55 hours !!!!! I can only anticipate what my dinner tray will be ?? I felt much better Sunday, and feel even better today. The Urology staff are being consulted and ordered a C-T Scan, which I underwent 3.5 hours ago. How long I remain in the hospital is not yet determined. Hopefully, I will be back at Trapanotto House, in a day or so. Jeremy was kind enough to bring me my laptop so I can continue to communicate with you from the hospital. As I was praying this morning it occurred to me today would have been the 65th Birthday of my beloved friend and fraternity brother, Bob Butcher, who died in August 2001. "May his soul and the souls of all the Faithful Departed, Rest in Peace".........
Love + Prayers, Fr. Troy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Father Troy, we are thanking God for your sake, that He is so obviously carrying you through every single step of your healing journey.

One of the first things we do each day is link on to your blog - looking forward as we sincerely do, to reading the next Chapter in the Extraordinary Life and (now) Healing Times of Fr. Troy Powers! ... ;> ...

So, when I clicked onto your blog site on Sunday and discovered that you had not written since Saturday morning I was instantly concerned, because we know you are faithful to write 'here' each and every day, and surely, nothing but a crisis would keep you from doing so. ... And so, we prayed ...for you ...

Happily, most happily ... we have read Monday's entry and are much relieved to know that everything is "well with you" once more.

Father, we can only imagine how very difficult it has been - and may very well continue to be - for you - struggling as you have, literally moment by moment. Your faith and your courage and your sheer grit and determination to persevere and most certainly overcome are just a few of the many marvelous strengths God has gifted you with.

You have come far. And you will come farther, still. ... So again, we thank and praise Him utterly, for your sake.

Press on, Father Troy, for He is with you. You know that He is ...

With our continual good wishes and prayers for your healing,
Joyce and Ken Davidson

Unknown said...

JOYCE & KEN,
THANKS FOR YOUR FAITHFUL READERSHIP OF MY BLOG, FOR YOUR PRAYERS, CONCERN, AND SUPPORT, AND FOR ALL YOUR KIND AND THOUGHTFUL WORDS REFLECTING ON MY TRANSPLANT EXPERIENCE. I AM FEELING MUCH, MUCH, BETTER AND LOOKING FORWARD TO GOING BACK TO MY RENTED PHOENIX HOUSE TO WIND UP MY CONVALESCENCE HERE. THE TRANSPLANT TEAM IS HOPING TO GIVE ME ANTIBIOTICS TO PREVENT ANY OTHER RECURRENCES OF MY UTI's.........PRAYERS + GRATITUDE,
FR. TROY

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive