Friday, October 2, 2009

MY SUMMARY MEETING & EXAM WITH DOCTORS HAMAWI & SOTO AT MAYO CLINIC HOSPITAL.........

Yesterday, Day 38, after my kidney transplant I had the summary appointment with Transplant Team Dr. Khaled Hamawi, and his associate, Dr. Lucia Soto. It was scheduled as a 60 minute meeting and the doctors were running well behind, as the nurse assistant who took us back to the examination room told us the 1 p.m. hour is the busiest hour of each day at the Mayo Clinic. The transplant nurse coordinator reviewed my medications with me, per usual and took my blood pressure which was a remarkable 120/74; yesterday, and has them talking about changing my high blood pressure meds. Dr. Soto then arrived next and reviewed Monday's kidney biopsy, and ultrasound, and Tuesday's six hour blood pressure monitoring test, stating her analysis, while interpreting the results on my computerized file. She said there is no sign of rejection of the kidney, based on the biopsy outcome; that the ultrasound, shows only slight resistance, with some arterial fluid build up, which is customary in the first months following a kidney transplant; and that they have no serious concerns with my blood pressure monitoring, as it is tracking in the proper direction since transplant. Reviewing my past week's blood sugar counts, the outlier she expressed concern with was Sunday morning's 205; and asked me to explain it. I ventured the guess that the french onion soup I ate on Saturday night, which is traditionally high in sodium, was the reason, which she accepted as likely. The prime diabetes marker my A1C, IS 6; which is very good. It has remained consistent in the past 4 months at the Mayo Clinic, from 5.9; in June, to 6.8; on Transplant Day, TO 6; this week, all three of them under 7; which is the desirable level. Dr. Soto's one other major concern was my high calcium / low phosphorus counts at this point. After a further conference with Dr. Hamawi, she returned explaining my pituary gland is reacting as it has throughout my renal failure, causing it to lower my phosphorous level and keeping my calcium high. She said in time my gland will adapt and adjust to the success of my new kidney and restore the proper balance, so for the time being they are leaving things in that regard, as is. A restored increase in my Lipitor dosage daily back to 40 mg., from my post transplant 20 mg., the past 5.5 weeks has been prescribed, as has been a Vitamin D, prescription and a refill of Percocet to alleviate the slight pain I am still experiencing daily, after 20-24 hours have elapsed. Dr. Hamawi's summary of my present condition at this stage after my transplant, is that I am doing very well in making forward progress, and stressed the imperative of doing the weekly blood labs back in Sacramento, so that my nephrologist, Dr. Bhat, and the Mayo Clinic can accurately assess the progress I continue to make. He said he was releasing me back to Dr. Bhat, and that Mayo Clinic Arizona will see me next for my 4 month review in December or January. Having had my morning meds, insulin, and breakfast, and preparing to pick up my new prescriptions, and at 5 p.m. retrieve Paul & Sharon Friedrich at the airport, as my weekend caregivers, it promises to be a good and upbeat day. There is no U.S. Mail available here today or tomorrow, as our postal substation is closed, so I await what my e-mail, blog comments, and phone calls, bring. Jeremy is brilliantly being Mr. Domestic, cooking, laundering, cleaning, shopping, and driving, as well as giving me my medications and providing companionship, all vital components of the caregivers responsibilities. And he is doing it pleasantly and joyfully.........More to Come. Prayerfully in Jesus the Christ, Fr. Troy

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive