Wednesday, June 8, 2011

SORTING OUT AND SERVING THE COMMON GOOD OF THE PARISH COMMUNITY AS A PRIEST OF JESUS CHRIST AND PASTOR OF THE CHURCH...........

For all the Faith and Fidelity, that exists within the Community of Believers, even God's Easter People, fall short in understanding that priests and pastors, are for the most part doing the best we can to serve and to lead the people entrusted to our pastoral care, both as individuals, and as the members of the community they are.  As a Priest of Jesus Christ, me and my colleagues, strive daily to be responsive and proactive in responding to the spiritual and ministry needs of our parishioners.  Yet, we fall short, and when we do it can sometimes be contentious, in sorting out misunderstandings and shortcomings, real or perceived.  As a priest and pastor, I have had my share of those occurrences, yet try to remain committed and focused in doing all that I can do, in sensitivity and truth to serve and lead every member of the Body of Christ I encounter; with fairness, faithfulness, and fidelity, to Gospel Values, despite differences of opinion, or disagreements, that may take place.  I firmly believe that,"Priesthood is not a popularity contest".  In the words of Msgr. Heher, at our May Priests Retreat, we should not seek to be seen as, "good guys", "admired", or "liked by everyone", but prophetic servant-leaders in the priestly, pastoral, ministry we carry out, as we serve the common good of the entire parish community, remembering every parish has only one Pastor.  Therefore, now or whenever, I face challenges like these,  whether an issue of misunderstanding, or a matter needing tweaking or change in my pastoral or parish practice; or dealing with what I refer to as, dragon persons in the community of believers, who are particularly critical, controlling, or contentious, with me and the parish, I put what best serves the parish wholistically, and not just individually, first.  I believe anyone who has a problem with me as their priest and pastor, should bring their concern / difficulty with me, to me - not gossip, or go to others, as Jesus prescribed in the Gospel, that all Christian conflicts be addressed and resolved.  As I prepare to deliver the State of the Parish Address this Sunday, I am optimistic the vision and commitment I bear to OLOL Parish, will become even more apparent to all our members, and allow us to go forward in strengthening, sustaining, and furthering, the mission and ministry of parish life.  I am pleased to be a priest and pastor of the Church, and this Parish, and am resolved to growing it forward, even as I push forward in my priestly, pastoral, and personal life, despite the hardships that are mine to endure...........In The Consecrated Truth Of The Spirit Whose Coming Fires and Fortifies Us,   Fr.  Troy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Troy, Pat Lee here. Reading your Wednesday, June 8, 2011 post (have you been silent since then?) my first reaction was one of great joy. You are now able to assume the roll and suffer the slings and arrows hurled against pastors(and administrators), instead of having to concentrate on your health. You are back in the fight! However, joy turned to concern rather quickly. The fight seems to be a difficult one. The phraze "dragon persons" sounds ominous. I hope and pray I am just imagining that. God bless, and keep up the inspiring work...Pat Lee.

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive