Tuesday, June 7, 2011

CONCELBRATING WITH REVEREND FATHER BRENDAN MCKEEFRY, PASTOR OF OUR LADY OF ASSUMPTION CARMICHAEL THE FUNERAL OF CATHERINE JEAN JOHNSON...........

My Monday afternoon, which is Fr. Pius' day off, took an interesting, unexpected, turn at 1:05 pm, when the Sunset Lawn Chapel of the Chimes Mortuary called, telling me I was to be there presiding at a Funeral Chapel Service, which I, nor the parish office, had been informed of.  As I was alone in the rectory, the funeral director drove over to drive me, and the 1 pm Funeral Service and Committal, got underway at about 1:45 pm...........This morning I will taxi over to Our Lady of Assumption Parish Church, in Carmichael; to concelebrate with the Paator, Reverend Father Brendan McKeefry, the Funeral Memorial Mass, of my thirty three year, Sacramento State University affiliated, dear friend, Catherine Jean Johnson, who passed away a week and a half ago, at age 87.  Jean, was a woman, with a verve and zest for life, her family, her Church, and her friends.  After completing her undergaraduate and graduate studies in her native Michigan, she moved to California, with her husband, Dr. Douglas Johnson, when he became a professor at CSU-Sacramento.  A beloved wife to Doug, for 52 years, she was also a loving and caring mother, who was actively involved in her childrens' educations, which is how so many of my fellow students and I, first came to know and cherish Jean.  Her three children, Mary Martha Carson; Marie Millin; and Drew Johnson; are not only good friends, but were connected with me through the Greek system at Sac State.  Mary is married to my fraternity brother Merv Carson, and her brother, Drew, is one of my fraternity brothers, as well.  Marie shared in the friendships, social, and philanthropic, activities of  sorority and fraternity life with me, also.  They and their spouses, Mervin, Pamela, and Brian, are parents to six grandchildren, for Jean and Doug, and grandson Greg, has added a granddaughter by marriage, with his wedding last autumn, to Stephanie.  I was the baptismal priest of Dan and his brother, Greg Carson, in my first years as a priest, and as a seminarian, I was a Lector, at Merv and Mary Martha's Wedding Mass.  Jean was a very devout, and faithful, Catholic-Christian Disciple throughout her life, living the values and faith commitment, she and her husband,  instilled in their children.  She was a daily Mass attendee at either OLA, or Jesuit High School, in Carmichael, for so many decades.  And she was also a stalwart supporter of the Assistance League of Sacramento; and the Retired Faculty Wives of CSUS.  She will be remembered and never forgotten.  I am glad to accept the invitation of her family and Father McKeefry, to join them today in concelebrating her Funeral Mass.  God Bless You Jean, and may God's Face Shine Upon You, Now and Forever.....Eternal Rest Grant Unto Her Holy Soul O Lord And May Perpetual Light Be With Her Everlasting.....Alleluia !!! Amen !!!!...........Fr.  Troy

1 comment:

Mary Carson said...

Troy, what a wonderful tribute! Thanks so much for coming, it meant a lot to our family. I know it's tough for you to do too, but we sincerely appreciated your effort! Hope to see you soon. Good luck with your Parish festival this weekend. Fondly, Mary Martha

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive