Thursday, June 9, 2011

THE DATES AND DETAILS OF MY LIFE - A WEEK OF MEMORABLE ANNIVERSARIES...........

Just as blogged on Monday June 6th, being the Ordination to Priesthood Anniversaries, of Msgr. Ed Kavanagh and Fr. Dan Donhoo, it was also the 80th Birthday of the Most Reverend Laurence Forristal, Bishop Emeritus of the Diocese of Ossory, in Kilkenny, Ireland.  Over the past thirty years, Bishop Forristal has become a wonderful friend and an exemplary shepoherd of souls.  I appreciate him grealy and am grateful for for his many kindnesses and remembrances, over the past three decades.  Tuesday June 7th, was the 37th anniversary of my graduation from Luther Burbank Senior High School in South Sacramento.  As some of my younger family friends grauated during the past week or two from high school, it rekindles in me that occasion in my own life - and astonishes me I have more than tripled in age, from the night of my own high school graduation.  Today, Thursday June 9th, is the 35th anniversary of my graduation with an Associate Arts Degree in Political Sciene, from Sacramento City College.  Actually, I graduated from SCC twice.  Graduating with the granting of my A.A., with honors in 1976; and then again two years later, when my college professor, mentor, and instructor, for more than a dozen courses, including three special studies projects and who convinced me to become a candidate for the Los Rios Community College District Board of Trustees; in 1977; the late, Dr. Gerald G. Smith, who had missed my '76 graduation, due to being in England; was Chairman of the '78 Commencement Committee, and asked me to don a cap and gown again, and go through the ceremonies a second time.  Then this Saturday June 11th, is the Ordination to the Priesthood anniversary of my beloved classmate, friend, and brother, Rev. Fr. Oliver Maher, ordained in 1988; our St. Kieran's Seminary Spiritual Director and now Parish Priest, P.P. rev. Fr. Daniel Bollard, a seminary classmate of Rev. Fr. Michael Downey, Pastor of Holy Spirit Parish, Fairfield; was ordained in 1972; and the late Rev. Fr. Jeremiah Boland, ordained in 1933, with Fr. Dan Bollard's uncle; and who spent the final nineteen years of his life and priesthood, at St. Rose's Parish, in South Sac., where I ministered with him, as a high school and college student, parish staff member, seminarian, and young priest.  And the icing on the cake this week was the 26th wedding anniversary yesterday Wednesday June 8th, of my loving friends, fraternity, and adopted, honorary, family, Teres Bugatto Mugnaini and her husband and my Lambda Chi Alpha brother, Michael Mugnaini.  These are a few of the memorable moments in time that I savor and celebrate through the years and across the miles.  Here's Praying You Also Will Acknowledge The Anniversaries And Occasions Of Special Memories In Your Own Lives...........Fr.  Troy

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive