Sunday, November 7, 2010

BIRTHDAY "PEACHES" FROM THE GEACHES..........

The Geach Family of South Sacramento / Elk Grove, who have been friends of mine for more than thirty years, continue to be a significant presence in my life, from the time I first met them at St. Rose's Church  on Franklin Boulevard, and was the Confirmation catechist to the children, through my years of seminary formation and priestly ministry, and the Weddings, Baptisms, and Funerals, I have celebrated with and for them.  They are a constant presence to me - of  love, support, faith, friendship, fellowship, and remembrance.  Earlier this spring they asked me to preside at the First Holy Communion of  their child and grandchild, Reagan.  Reagan, is the son of Rodd and Karla, owners of the "Original Pete's" Pizza and Grill, on Elk Grove Blvd.  I mention that because in August 2009, eight days before my kidney transplant Rodd and Karla held an evening at Original Pete's, from which they donated a portion of the proceeds to defray pre and post transplant expenses I incurred.  And the word, "peaches", in the title of this blog column refers to the ongoing generosity of the Geach Family from my seminary years to the present.  My fellow seminarians declared the regular delivery of thoughtful gifts Karin and Roger, Mother and Father Geach sent to me and the lads in Kilkenny, "peaches from the Geaches".  Today, I received the installment, as Roger and Karin drove from Elk Grove in the lashing rain to attend the 10:30 am Mass at Our Lady of Lourdes.  Then we went to lunch at Brookfield's Restaurant on Madison Avenue, this being the Sunday following my birthday.  These visits they make regularly every year to whatever parish I  am serving in.  During my six months at Sacred Heart from January to July of this year, they came on two Sundays, and that has been true of all the parishes to which I have been assigned.  I thank them and express my gratitude for them.  For they, like so many of my family members, personal friends, and present and former parishioners, have been, are, and continue to be, the affirmation, encouragement, and core support, that strengthens and sustains me personally and vocationally..........Thank You, God Bless You, And Love You,   Fr.  Troy

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive