Thursday, August 20, 2009

BUDDIES.........

Preparing for my kidney transplant next Tuesday has me thinking of, and appreciating anew, the many friends with which I am blessed. Bishop Francis Quinn's use of the word, "buddy", to describe our relationship at my pre-transplant party Monday night, has me thinking about my other buddies. Father Oliver Maher, Administrator of St. Mary's Cathedral in Kilkenny, Ireland is one of my chief buddies. He has been since our days as classmates at St. Kieran's Seminary. Oliver will come to be with me in Phoenix in late September and early October. Curtis Richards, is also definitely one of my key inner circle buddies. Our friendship has endured over more than three decades through all that life has brought our way. Curtis has now informed me he will be coming from Washington, D.C., and has arranged his schedule, so to be with me for several days next week as I undergo my transplant and begin the initial convalescence. Joe Gibson and Ray Riehle, are two more of my long time buddies. Their friendships through the past two and three decades, have been a wonderful exchange of interpersonal sharing and intellectual endeavor. This Saturday, August 22, one of my very special buddies, Alex Mauro celebrates his 20th Birthday. Alex's bond with me is undeniable. A man with special needs, Alex exudes love and is a reminder to me and you, that God has a place for everyone and the Alex's of this world remind us they too, share God's Love.

Mari Farnsworth and the Helping Hands ministry volunteers who have driven me back to the rectory after dialysais, are other buddies of mine. As are, David McAffee and the Presentation Men's Club, who will be providing for my weekend caregiving while I am convalescing in Phoenix. Others who qualify as buddies to me during my renal ordeal are five Presentation women who have stepped up and cooked dinner for me one night each weekly for the past two and a half years. Sid Currey, Joan Qualls, Julia McAffee, Kitty Freidrichs, Irene Cervantes, have provided me with kidney friendly meals, keeping my potassium and phosphorous in check.
There are many more too great in number to include here as buddies of mine. But one more person must be included. He is not only my friend and wheelman, but my living donor, Victor Herrera. Victor has stood by me faithfully from just seconds after I received the prognosis of my kidney failure,that it would require a transplant, he volunteered then and there to be my donor..."GOD IS GOOD".........Fr. Troy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fr. Troy - Thank you so much for your kind and loving words about our son. We love him, too! And we are inspired by your insight about how Alex really does exude love. We have always felt that; he is a very special example of God's love in this world. You are in our prayers every day. Thank you for sharing your recovery on your blog. We look forward to seeing you when you return to Sacramento. ~Donna Keane-Mauro and family

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive