Saturday, October 23, 2010

A SATURDAY OF MINISTRY IN THE CHURCH AND RECTORY AND OUT IN THE PARISH COMMUNITY..........

As Saturdays are going at Our Lady of Lourdes Parish, in Sacramento, since my arrival as Pastor on July 1, that was an up the middle day in priestly ministry, the morning was free and light, the early to mid afternoon unusually active, and the evening busy with the usual Saturday Confessions and Sunday Vigil Mass.  Catching up with the morning sleep my weekday schedule does not permit, was restful and relaxing, as my first appointment of the day was a House Blessing at Noon.  Before heading out the rectory door to drive over to the parshioners' home, I received a long distance Sick Call request from the sister of an elderly, ill and infirm woman parishioner, who is a resident in the Norwood Pines Alzheimer's Unit.  So I went there also, to visit her pastorally and celebrate the Sacraments, in tis case the Lat Rites of the Church, as the expectation she is going to die within a month.   After a 1:30 pm soup lunch, I wrote the General Intercessions and Pulpit Announcements for Sunday Mass, only to find that the printer is not working toda, with only me t technologically challenged Troy available to address the problem.  So I had to decide to use canned prayer intentions, supplemented by my verbal addition to the prayers, so as to include the intentions and focuses of OLOL this Sunday.  I concelebrated the 5 PM Mass with Fr. Traynor, preaching on the theme of lifting up the lowly, the poor, and the marginalized as our Gospel commitment to the values of Jesus the Christ.  And I spoke extensively on how OLOL'S 53 year history on Founder's Day and the work of Catholic Charities USA / Sacramento, has continuously provided social services ministry and shall continue to, including the OLOL's Feed the Hungry Program and St. Vincent de Paul Society ministries.  Following Mass, I went to the local, Market Basket store to purchase the Root Beer and Ice Cream, for Sunday's Parish Founder's Day, 'Root Beer Social', which is a free, Unity in Community fellowship opportunity for our members. So as I wind down an unusually active Saturday in October and anticipate what tommorrow brings, I bid you all a good night..........God Bless You....."Sleep In Heavenly Peace".....   Fr.Troy

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive