Friday, October 8, 2010

DAYS LIKE THIS ARE WHY I LIKE BEING A DIOCESAN PRIEST..........

More than thirty years ago, when I was discerning a call to becoming a priest and weighed the kind of priest I might be, like any open minded person I considered my options.  Diocesan priesthood, or entering a Religious order, with a particular charism or ministry focus.  Although deep down I was from my youth intrigued most by parish priests and what they did, as a high school and college student, the Dominicans, Franciscans, and Jesuits, also loomed in my mind as exciting avenues of possibility.  I chose diocesan priesthood, because that is where I feel the greatest opportunity to serve with the greatest diversity of activity exists.  No matter how predictable parts of it may be, there is also a dynamically unpredictable aspect to it on a daily basis, that keeps it refreshing and new.  Yesterday, was just the latest experience of which I speak.  In addition to the Liturgy of the Hours and Morning Mass, I had the following encounters.  A brief 11 am meeting with Sister Felicity, about Religious Education class registrations; an 11:30 am Sacramental appointment with a 102 year old parishioner, requesting Confession, Communion, and Anointing; a 1:15 pm meeting with Sister Theresa, regarding the Holy Childhood Association drive with the children; parish bill paying for the remainder of the afternoon and evening; meeting with the Solon Fire Control man who came to inspect and service the fire extinguishers and the fire safety of the parish hall kitchen; and a visit to the Confirmation Religious Education Class.....A mixture of events and activities that truly rounded out my day.  Days like this are why I chose to become a priest of the Sacramento Diocese and are a large part of why I like being a parish priest.  The 40th native born, local grown, Sacramento vocation for our Diocese I am, as each year of my ministry progresses I see more and more why I was also intrigued by the Dominicans, Franciscans, and Jesuits, as preaching, a simpler, more charitable way of life, and teaching, are all essential components of who I am and strive to be ever more productively.  But parish life is where the heart of the action for serving and leading is, and is where I know God wants me to be..........In The Spirit And Truth Of Being A Priest Now And Forever,   Fr.  Troy

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive