Tuesday, October 5, 2010

OF BROTHERS I HAVE KNOWN AND LOVED..........

A week ago yesterday I blogged about the 30th Anniversary of the Chartering of Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity at CSU-Sacramento.  Today, I follow-up with a remembrance of my fellow Original Six founding father, Colony / Phi Pi 6,  Robert Charles Butcher.  In the first week of October 1977, when I was one month from turning 21 years old,  I met Bob Butcher, in the University Union at Sac State, to discuss his joining our Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity colony.  Bob turned 33 years old that week, and would be our oldest recruit / member as a colony, while I was the youngest.  He was a Senior, History Major, worked for the State of California Board of Equalization Central Files office as a Supervisor, and was a veteran of the United States Navy, in which he served from 1965-69.  Bob was Catholic, so we struck up a friendly, familiar, rapport as the lunch unfolded.  Our Colony President Tom MacKenzie was also lunching with us, and he and I knew in short order, that Bob Butcher would be a stellar addition to the other five us who were Associate Members.  During the rest of that Academic Year, from our Ritual Initiation, to fraternity parties, socials, White Rose Founders Day Banquet, Day on the Bay in May, Associated Students Elections, and Graduation, Brother Bob was always there, doing his part, and was graciously present to me facilitating my presence as Vice President, while fulfilling his own position, as Alumni Affairs Secretary.  Upon receiving his B.A. in History on May 27, 1978, Bob did not just fade away, but continued to come to fraternity functions and support me and Graduate student, ASI Senate Chair Kevin Stevens, keep the fledgling fraternity colony alive. And Brother Bob continued to be there for us and with us, supporting us fraternally and financially through the harrowing journey of attaining our Charter.  On "Charter '80 !" Night we presented him a gift of gratitude for his yeoman service to us, a Grandfather Clock, symbolizing that he was the Grand 'Ol Man, of the Phi Pi Zeta of Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity.  Beyond the fraternity we remained very good friends for more than two decades, spending time together spiritually, socially, and interpersonally.  The last major Lambda Chi function being the 20th Anniversary of the Charter in September 2000, which was another grand and glorious night together festively celebrating the bond of our brotherhood.  Eleven months later on a mid August Sunday morning, I had just completed the 9 am Mass at Holy Family Church in Citrus Heights and returned to my quarters in the rectory, when Bob's brother in law Joseph Miller, called with the sad news that Brother Bob had died overnight of a sudden heart attack.  He was 56 years old.  His wife Placida, asked me to preside over his funeral, with the request that I tell as many of the funny fraternity stories about Bob, as possible in the homily.  The Vigil and the Funeral Mass were at their parish, Good Shepherd in Laguna / Elk Grove, and the Pastor, Rev. Fr. Phil Wells, concelebrated with me.  He laughed as loud and hard as anyone in the church about my renditions recounting Bob, and especially when I made reference to his navy and fraternity nickname,  Bob "Mad Dog" Butcher !!!!!!!!!!  Brother Bob has been gone more than 9 years, but my treasury of memories of the two dozen years I knew him are still shining bright.  Today, would have been Bob Butcher's 66th Birthday.  Rest in Peace, my dear friend, until we who knew and loved you here on earth, are reunited with you in heaven.  Thank You Bob For All You Brought To My Life,   Troy

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive