Friday, December 4, 2009

WHO ARE THESE "USUAL SUSPECTS" OF WHOM I SPEAK ?.........

This morning I was contacted by the Bishop's Office with the update that the discussion of my return to fulltime ministry and my next new assignment were being discussed again today at the monthly meeting of the Priests' Personnel Board. I reiterated my goal and intention, to be reactivated as a Pastor of a parish, in the new year. Bishop Soto called me late this afternoon for a friendly, fraternal, check in conversation. After I see Dr. Bhat for my follow-up appointment next Wednesday and he certifies my readiness to return to work, we will see what assignment I will receive...
While reflecting on my transplant experience and my mother's anniversary over the past ten days, I have recalled many of the people who have shared these events with me. I have made reference to the, "usual suspects", my group of personal Irish friends. Today I would like to focus on our friendships and their centrality in my life over the past twenty eight years. The phrase, "The Usual Suspects", is used to describe the group, as a title taken from the movie with the same name. In regards to our group, we are the persons who most commonly band together regularly and on special occasions, year after year. The group includes priests of the Diocese of Ossory, (Kilkenny) my classmate, Reverend Father Oliver Maher, and Rev. Frs. Daniel Bollard, Jim Murphy, Kieran Cantwell, Martin Tobin, Martin Delaney, Dermot Ryan, and Rev. Msgr. James Cassin. But the heart of, "the usual suspects", are our personal lay friends in Kilkenny, with whom we priests have enjoyed many wonderful evenings and special events for more than three decades in some cases. Brigid Mullins, wife of the late Michael 'Mick' Mullins, their Family Butcher Shop being one of the finest in Kilkenny, and the only meat "Mother Maher", (Oliver's late mum) would serve at her Sunday or Holiday table, is always a gracious and thoughtful presence to and with us. Her sons and she continue operating Mullins' Butcher Shop on Friary Street. When in Kilkenny, I buy my steaks only from the Mullins. Michael and Patricia Cleere Shortall, whose 3 Riverside Drive home in Kilkenny, has hosted seminarians, priests, and personal friends, for several decades, are always generous in their hospitality. It was in their house in the early 90's we were invited to Drinks at 8; for Dinner at half 8; only to have the socializing and drinks party last for four hours, so that we ate what we affectionately refer to as, Midnight Straganoff", when we finally dined. They are also renowned for their, "Patty on the Patio", summer afternoons and the, 'Bar Shed'. Geraldine and Kevin Butler, whom my fellow seminarians and I first met on the grounds of St. Kieran's College in September 1982, are also an indispensable couple in our usual suspects interactions. Geraldine started working as SKC front office Secretary that summer and at that time she and Kevin were dating. We got to know him as he came from Telecom Eireann, where he works, to pick Ger up and take her home each evening. But my funniest memorable moment with Ger and Kev involves me buying her first maternity dress in 1990, as a birthday gift to her, and having the women who owned the maternity shop thinking I was her American husband. Ger's response to their comment was, "No, this is Father Troy from California. He's not my husband. Kevin Butler is my husband and the father of my baby". >>> In addition to many fun nights in their homes, we also have had several memorable nights in the pubs, hotels, and restaurants, of Kilkenny city. For the past twenty years our favorite venue has been the classic Italian Ristorante, "Rinuccini", where delectable pastas and other fine dining menu entrees are on the bill of fare. My last two dinner parties at Rinuccini were celebrating my 50th Birthday, three years ago, and my 20th Anniversary a priest, two and a half years ago. Please God, I will have a post transplant dinner party there next summer. The usual suspects have also taken our celebrations on the road throughout the greater Kilkenny area and up the country to Northern Ireland, for Ordinations and First Masses. In the North, we have other usual suspects, including my classmate Paul McDaid and his family. His father and mother, Stephen and Kay McDaid, always host me and others hospitably, and "Kay's Kitchen" assures there is always very good food and drink to be had. These are some of the memories I have to be grateful to my Irish friends for. I also want to acknowledge Bishop of Ossory Emeritus, the Most Reverend Laurence Forristal, for his friendship and fraternal considerations, during the past twenty eight years. And I would be remiss not to pay tribute to the Ossory priest who in Summer 1980, set my St. Kieran's / Kilkenny / Irish / experiences in motion, the deceased Rev. Msgr. Martin Campion, who recruited me to attend St. Kieran's Seminary. God be Good to You forever, Martin......The more than 850 days I have spent In Ireland since August 23, 1981, have been exciting, energizing, and exhilarating, experiences of the Emerald Isle. The Irish collectively, and my usual suspects in particular - are some of the friendliest and most generously hospitable and loyal friends, I could ever want. I thank them and am grateful to them for all we share. Slan.........Gratefully in Jesus,
Troy David Powers

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive