Monday, December 21, 2009

..."THE BEST INTEREST OF THE PATIENT IS THE ONLY INTEREST TO BE CONSIDERED"...

The title of today's blog column is a quote from Dr. William Mayo, who with his brother Dr. Charles Mayo and the Franciscan Sisters, founded the Mayo Clinic. It is posted on the wall of the atrium inside of the front entrance of the Mayo Clinic Hospital Arizona, in Phoenix. Being back there this morning before 7 am for my four month evaluation fasting blood labs, which were followed by a kidney ultrasound and biopsy. Walking through the doors of the Specialty Building at 6:40 am and was warmly greeted by the admitting registrar Travis, who seemed to instantly remember me. The laboratory technician was punctual and proficient, drawing ten vials of my blood in less than five minutes. I took my morning medications and insulin, and had a breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, a cinnamon-walnut bun, cranberry juice and milk. The ultrasound was next, with technician Joelene, doing a timely and conversant job. She told me afterwards that my transplant surgeon Dr. Moss, was correct about the blood vessels connection to my new kidney, as she found the blood flow is very strong. She is going home to spend Christmas with her parents and sisters in Orange County, California. My biopsy nurse Kathy, was formerly on the transplant team for five years. She has two sons 11 and 13, and attends Highlands Church in Phoenix. Her ministers are married with nice homes, so she wanted to know about my being a celibate Catholic priest. Dr. Young who did the biopsy, also has sons he is taking to Lake Tahoe to ski for Christmas. Eileen, the recovery room nurse, who took care of me this summer and fall, is also Catholic and chatted me up about my Christmas Mass schedule. She released for the day at 10:15 am and I spent some time in the hospital chapel before the hotel shuttle driver had me back to the Hampton Inn before 11 o'clock. The Chicken Fiesta salad from Carlos O'Brien's I had for dinner last night was plentiful enough, that it also provided me with today's lunch. Now I am heading out for my daily walk and to get groceries for the next two days. Reading, relaxation, Christmas music and movies, and prayers, will round out this 4th Monday of Advent, four days before Christmas.........May Emmanuel our King and Giver of Law; Come to Save Us...Come, Lord our God !!!! Fr. Troy in Phoenix, AZ

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive