Thursday, December 3, 2009

CONTINUING TO REMEMBER AND CELEBRATE MY MOTHER JOSEPHINE...27 YEARS AFTER HER PASSING ON THIS 100 DAYS POST KIDNEY TRANSPLANT.........

Last night I received a telephone from Pat Hornback, thanking me for the 'Josephine Treatment' 2009, my mother's memorial anniversary roses. I finished my mother's 27th anniversary day, presiding at a Funeral Vigil for a South Sacramento family at the North Sacramento Funeral Home, as an assist while Msgr. Kavanagh is away. Today, I celebrated my last Mass for the time being at St. Philomene's this morning and then went to Our Lady of the Assumption Parish to help the Pastor, Rev. Fr. Brendan McKeefry, with Advent Reconciliation today, tomorrow and next week , for the students of Assumption School... Thanks to the persons in my circle of friends who contacted me yesterday to assure me of their own prayerful remembrance of my mother. In the final twenty six and a half years of her life, my mother Josephine raised, the four Powers children born of my parents marriage. She also helped care for my grandparents, until her own diseases precluded that possibility in the final months of her life. The most religious and faithful Catholic in our entire family, she not only oversaw that my sisters and brothers and I received faith formation and sacramental preparation for Penance, Eucharist, and Confirmation, but facilitated religious education and Sacraments, for many of our cousins. My mother was on the front lines with me over my physical disability that had me in a left leg orthopedic brace from First to Twevlth Grade. She was also very encouraging and supportive of my discernment of a vocation to the priesthood. Therefore, as I have often said since December 1982, "It is the mystery of God, and the mystery of Life, that my mother Josephine died during my first semester in the seminary, causing me to return to Sacramento from Kilkenny, Ireland for her death and burial. Incidentally, the week my mother died so too, did two Sacramento diocesan priests. Rev. Msgr. Hugh McTague, founding Pastor of St. Robert's Parish in South Sacramento, (1955-1980) from whom I received First Holy Communion on May 29, 1965; and who became a personal friend and supporter of my becoming a priest, died November 27, 1982, five days before my mother.
He shared two special moments in 1968 with me and my mother, during that year's 3 month Campbell Soup Company strike. As my father worked at Campbell Soup as did many other Corey Family members, money was very tight for my family as the strike wore on, in August 1968. I needed a new pair of $40.00 black dress shoes from Groh's Shoes, because my metal brace all but destroyed my left shoe every three months; and that month we coluldn't afford them, Msgr. Kavanagh was in Ireland on his vacation, and so my mother drove with me over to St. Robert's Rectory and asked Fr. McTague to loan her the forty dollars, to buy my shoes. He did. In the weeks after the Campbell's strike ended and my father was working again, my mother and me returned to see Fr. McTague and repay the loan. He refused to accept the money, saying to my mother with me present, "Mrs. Powers that is my investment in that boy becoming a priest someday". Was he ever right ! Because I came home from the seminary the day after Thanksgiving 1982, I was present at Msgr. McTague's Funeral on Nov. 30. The other priest, was Rev. Fr. James O'Dea , who was Pastor of St. Philomene's Parish, when he died suddenly the day after my mother on Dec. 3, 1982. My mother's Funeral Mass was concelebrated by Msgr. Kavanagh and seven more priests, on Mon. Dec. 6, with her burial at St. Mary's Cemetery. The next day I went with Msgr. Kavanagh to Fr. O'Dea's Funeral Mass and Burial at St. Philomene's Church and Calvary Cemetery, which was concelebrated by Bishop Francis Quinn and more than one hundred and fifty priests. That was the day I first saw Fr. Jerry Ryle, then Associate Pastor of St. Philomene's. Two days short of twenty four years later, Dec. 1, 2006, I was appointed to St. Philomene's as his part-time Parochial Vicar. Little did I know on Dec. 3 and 7, 1982, I would have a future in priestly ministry at St. Philomene's with Fr. Jerry Ryle as my Pastor... And so Mother, I poignantly, proudly, remember you, celebrate you, pray for you, as we mark the 27th anniversary of your passing from this life to the promise and hope of eternal life. Thank You for the Love you provided us your Family and for your generosity and prayerfulness for others, especially the needy. You are in our hearts always....... For me, today is it 100 Days since Dr. Moss and the Mayo Clinic Hospital Arizona Transplant Team gave me a, "vibrant, new, kidney", from my living donor, Victor Herrera. I am growing stronger and more able to do more things, each day, fourteen weeks and two days, after receiving my new lease on life. Peace + Prayers in the Risen Life of the Threefold Coming Christ,......... Troy

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive