Saturday, May 12, 2012

AN AWESOME TWO WEEKS TOURING WITH MY IRISH FRIENDS IT WAS............

Back since Midnight Friday morning from my two week adventure with my visitors from Ireland, Geraldine and Kevin Butler, and Father Oliver Maher, an enjoyable and successful series of journeys it was for me and for them seeing the sights of of California, Nevada, New York, and New Jersey.  From their arrival Thursday April 26th, at San Francisco International Airport, and our two days in the City cruising the San Francisco Bay, riding the cable cars, enjoying the attractions of Fisherman's Wharf, and visiting Union Square and the Civic Center; to our three days and nights in New York City, experiencing the observatory point atop the Empire State Building, taking the ferry to see the Statue of Liberty and visit Ellis Island, to viewing Rockefeller Center and standing and strolling through Times Square; from my wheelchair I was able to take part in all these experiences.  It was striking that the wheelchair was not only welcomed but acknowledged by workers and tourists at the attractions we visited, and allowed my foursome to move through lines without waiting as an acceptable accomodation.  All in all, during our two weeks we were in San Francisco; Monterey; Carmel; Santa Cruz; Half Moon Bay; Sacramento; South Lake Tahoe; Reno; Napa; Callistoga; St. Helena; Newark; and New York City, I succeeded in keeping pace with my guests and participating fully in the activities and events brought by our two weeks of touring.  Thirteen cities, four states, in fourteen days, with no adverse affect on me and underscoring my long held claim, wheelchairs are an empowerment, not a disablement.  I strongly encourage others, whether you are in a wheelchair, or not; when given the opportunity, to take the elevator ride to the top of the Empire State Building, or see New York City from atop 30 Rock.  These past two weeks renewed my confidence, that despite the challenges and struggles I am contending with, that I can, and will continue to do, what I set my heart and mind on accomplishing, and not be vanquished by the limitations imposed upon me............Fr.  Troy

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive