Monday, May 28, 2012

AMERICAN MEMORIAL DAY, SACRAMENTO DIOCESAN ERECTION DAY, PRIESTS JUBILARIAN DAY, HAS A FOURTH SIGNIFICANCE FOR ME............

On this Memorial Day holiday in the United States we remember and commemorate the 2.5 million American citizens n our history who have laid down their lives as military members in the time of war and in the cause of peace; in acknowledgement and appreciation of their service. Todaym is also the 126th Anniversary of the erection (creation) of the Diocese of Sacramento on May 28, 1886.  I t is also the occasion of our annual Priests' Jubilarian Dinner, for those priests celebrating the 25th, 40th, 50th, and 60th, Anniversaries of their Ordination to the Priesthood of Jesus Christ.  As a silver jubilarian I was one of tonight's honorees.  Reverend Father Benedict graciously and fraternally, provided me a ride to and from the jubilarian dinner, which was held in the recently dedicated St. Mel Parish Center in Fair Oaks.  It was also ten years ago today, that I was diagnosed with diabetes.  A decade later I am grateful to God for preserving my life and for the perseverance to continue in carrying out my priestly vocation in ordained ministry, despite the hardship and obstacles I have had tom endure.  To my brother priests and circle of friends and faithful parishioners, whose support and affirmation continue to sustain me, especially now while I am sidelined and striving to resume doing what I am confident the Lord Jesus Christ wants me do, the sooner I am allowed to return to active ministry and parish life the better.  For as I said again tonight, I have no intention of retiring now at age 55, when priests, especially native born, locally grown vocations are needed more than ever............Fr.  Troy

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive