Monday, December 2, 2013

MY MOTHER'S 31ST ANNIVERSARY AND THE "JOSEPHINE TREATMENT" 2013 GOES TO ? ..........................

Thirty one years ago today - December 2, 1982, my beloved and devoutly faithful Catholic-Christian Mother, Josephine Virginia Corey Feusi Powers, passed from life on earth to her eternal reward.  Even now more than three decades later, the days each year before, during, and after, the anniversary of her death remain poignant and profound for me and other loved ones who cherish her. The example of attentiveness she set as a daughter, sister, wife, mother, nice, aunt, cousin, grandmother, neighbor, friend, and disciple, as well as her generosity of spirit for others, were exemplary and inspirational.  Day after day for the sixty years of her earthly existence she went the extra mile in being present and responding to the needs of those of us she encountered or interacted with, sacrificing herself in thoughtfulness, care, and concern, for the good of others.  Her Faith in God, and practice of our Catholic religion, through Sunday Mass, daily prayer and devotions, regular visits to church to pray in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament, and in charitable works, as well as seeing to it not only her own children, but nieces and nephews were catechized and received the Sacraments, were mainstays of her life.  I miss her now more than ever.  I am also fortified in my own faith and priestly vocation, by her life and memory.  From my physical disability she so lovingly addressed, to the unconditional encouragement she provided to my consideration of becoming a priest, her lasting contribution to the betterment of who I am, is indelible.  Roses being her favorite flower and her own homegrown roses still blooming in our South Sacramento yard, where my youngest brother Tom still resides; remembering her with an annually increased number of roses on her anniversary, are one of the ways I commemorate her.  Until 1996, I placed 1 red rose for each year she has been departed, and 1 white rose representing eternity on her grave in St. Mary's Cemetery, Sacramento.  Since 1997, I have awarded the same to one or more women each year, as a living memorial of her life and holy example.  In the past sixteen years, 20 women in our mutual circles of friends have been recipients of what I named the, "Josephine Treatment" - 'My Mother's Anniversary Roses'.  Today they are joined by two more women, who wonderfully exemplify the values and devotedness, my Mother lived.  The December 2, 2013 recipients sharing the 32 roses of the Josephine Treatment today are :  Jerrie Richards, in Rio Linda; and  Ruth Rosenberg, in East Sacramento.  Both Ruth and Jerrie will be receiving 15 red roses and 1 white rose, symbolizing and memorializing the 31st Anniversary of my Mother, Josephine Virginia Corey Feusi Powers.  I will blog more about the these two 2013 "Josephine Treatment" choices in another blog column later today.  Thank You Lord God for the Life and Love of my Mother.  May she dwell now and forever  in Peace and Joy in Your Everlasting Kingdom...Alleluia !  Amen !!.............Troy David Powers

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive