Monday, September 16, 2013

GINGERLY TAKING IT ONE STEP THEN ANOTHER FOLLOWED BY OTHERS.............

Eighteen months ago when I was thrust away from my pastorate Our Lady of Lourdes Parish on the northeast side of Sacramento and into the gerontology central of Mercy McMahon Terrace in East Sacramento, being told I needed to be here and not in a parish because I am in a wheelchair and have to stand and walk in order to celebrate Mass at an altar; one of the other essential disconnections I was made to endure has been distancing me by twice in the proximity from my physical therapist Quinn McArthur, with whom I was making increasing progress at learning to walk safely and successfully with my prosthetic leg. Thus the further progress I have made has been limited to my own efforts, and therapy I received at Mercy General Hospital and Sutter Roseville  Medical Center for two weeks this summer along with the subsequent outpatient home health therapy that followed.  For the past month and a half I have been back to practice walking on my own in my quarters at MMT.  Returning to weekly therapy with Quinn whose facility borders Carmichael and Citrus Heights,will cost me a few hundred dollars a week in taxi fares, as the Diocese has made no provision for the cost of my transportation, yet have stated I am a, "burden" to priests and parishioners if I depend on them for transportation or other accommodation.  So I am trying my best to increase my capacity to walk as normally as any amputee is capable of walking.   But I will continue to do it gradually and cautiously, knowing full well the detrimental setback a fall, or an infection would cause.  It is nearly three weeks after the meeting that please God, will lead to my return to full time  ministry befitting of a priest in his mid fifties, who can preside, preach, administer sacraments, catechize, and contribute to R.C.I.A. and Adult Faith Formation regardless of whether I am sitting or standing, in a wheelchair, or out of a wheelchair.  To be dealt with otherwise as though I am burden, tarnished commodity, or disqualified from priestly pastoral ministry, is unfair, unjust, discriminatory, and unChristian. With Hope Filled Expectation in Jesus The Christ For A Fair, Just,Non Discriminatory, Catholic-Christian Response From The Powers That Be In Diocesan Administration.............Fr.  Troy David Powers

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive