Monday, July 30, 2012

'TROY POWERS DAY' IN SACRAMENTO + 30............

In 1982, on this day my life began a vocational transition as the parishioners of St. Rose's in South Sacramento, my family members and personal friends, gathered in the then only four months dedicated St. Rose/St. Patrick Social Center (now Monsignor Kavanagh Community Center) for a Barbecued Chicken Dinner as a send-off event a month before my departure for Kilkenny, Ireland and entry into St. Kieran's Seminary, forty five days later to begin my formation for the Priesthood in the Diocese of Sacramento.  The 350 persons who attended the appreciation farewell dinner at Msgr. Ed Kavanagh's invitation, was superbly organized by Patricia Hornback and prepared and served by an excellent team of the parishioners headed up by Art and Ann Gomes, made for a most enjoyable evening for all the celebrants.  Two special guests rounded out the evening's festivities.  Coming as a complete surprise to me and to the delight of those assembled, was the presence of Bishop Francis Anthony Quinn, who graced us with his attendance just weeks after agreeing to let me begin my priestly studies in Kilkenny with the understanding I would return to California to complete my formation at St. Patrick's Seminary in Menlo Park, one to two years later.  Also present was my Sacramento State Government professor and internship supervisor, then City Councilman and future Mayor, the late Joe Serna.  Joe attended to not only join in the celebration himself, but representing Mayor Phil Isenberg, from whom he bore a Proclamation declaring Friday July 30th 1982, "Troy Powers Day", in the City of Sacramento.  Thirty years later I still savor that night and remember it fondly.  Almost five years later an equal number of persons joined together in that same setting to celebrate my First Mass Ordination Dinner with me.  Given my current placement the opportunity to celebrate this plus 30 years later day is very limited, but my historical commemoration of what that day and night represented and the bonds of affection it celebrated, lives on in my heart and mind, as many of those present on July 30, 1982, and others I have befriended during the past three decades, continue to be vital participants in my life, helping make this down time a much better experience than it would be without their presence and support.  Thank You to trhose who have shared these 30 Years of Friendship, Faith, Fellowship, Fraternity, and Family, with me............Troy David Powers

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive