Tuesday, March 5, 2013

REMEMBERING MY FATHER SEVEN YEARS ON.............

It was seven years ago today that my father, Troy Doil Powers passed on from this earth to the promise and hope of Eternal Life joining my mother Josephine, twenty three years and three months following her death.  It is hard to think seven years have elapsed since the date of my Dad's death on March 5, 2005; and yet it is today.  Much has come and gone in my priestly ministry and personal life in the succeeding years.  Kidney Failure, Dialysis, Transplant, all successfully met and taking me forward in reinvigorated; Infection, Right Foot Below the Knee Foot Amputation, and a Prosthetic Leg; that slowed and stalled my continuing capability to effectively serve in full time parish ministry by the unenlightened decisions of the powers that be, who overlook the ability I retain to function from a wheelchair, as an empowerment to continue priestly ministry and not a problem excluding me from being in parish life.  My almost one year involuntary exile being warehoused in a facility for the retired, assisted care needing, residents - of which I am neither, comes one week from today and it is more than long enough to be unnecessarily sidelined and unassigned.  In the days and weeks ahead I will explore all opportunities for re-emerging out of Mercy McMahon Terrace into a normative residential setting for a 56 year old active priest and a parish ministry assignment I am certainly able to carry out.  My father's lifetime example was one of patience and perseverance, yet practicality.  When others chose to stymie something he knew he had to do, he found a way to do it and not let obstacles stand in the way.  My physical limitations or disability is not an obstacle - rather my desire and ability to proceed in priestly ministry is a further opportunity for me and for the Church to underscore our solidarity with all persons, the whole and the healthy, the diseased and the disabled.  The productiveness and success of my part-time Adult Faith Formation ministry at Sacred Heart Parish, during the past six months, is evidence that this is true.  Dad, I remember and pray for you Mother, and all our loved ones today, as always.  You are 7 years beyond us, but will never be forgotten, appreciated, and Loved.............Troy David

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive