Saturday, June 13, 2009

KIDNEY TRANSPLANT UPDATE : MAYO CLINIC ARIZONA, PART ONE.........

On Thursday June 11, I was notified by my transplant coordinator at Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles, that their Transplant Team is all but ready to agree to list me as a kidney transplant candidate. The transplant surgeon wants me to complete one final set of vascular tests of my lower extremities to assure there are no obstacles to a successful transplant. Dr. Bhat, my chief nephrologist (kidney doctor) will order the vascular tests, hopefully soon. Then my prospective donor, Victor Herrera will return to Cedars-Sinai to complete his necessary testing. Tuesday June 9, and Thursday June 11, Victor and I attended part one of the Mayo Clinic Arizona, interview evaluation for a kidney transplant. It went quite well. Transplant team Dr. Raymond Heilman, with whom I met and who gave me a physical examination said, I am, "a very good candidate for a transplant". I also underwent a tb test, a bone mineral analysis test, an electrocardiogram, an echocardiogram, and an extensive set of fasting blood labs. Then Victor and I attended a Kidney Transplant Education Class, a Nutrition consultation, a Financial precertification meeting, and I had my photograph taken and received my tuberculosis test result back, which was negative. The Mayo Clinic has two locations in Phoenix/Scottsdale. The Clinic where the testing is done is in Scottsdale, about 8 miles from the other site. The Hospital where the educational component is held is in Phoenix. Fortunately, the Mayo operates a shuttle between the two sites. On Wednesday I did my dialysis treatment at the Fresenius Medical Clinic in North Scottsdale. To conclude our first three day visit to the Mayo Clinic Arizona, we dined with our three day taxi driver Rob, at a wonderful, family owned, Italian Restaurant in Phoenix, "ANDIAMO", where we had wonderful plates of spaghetti and meatballs and spaghetti bolognaise. As he did at Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles, Victor documented our visit by taking photographs which we will share with you soon. Returning to Sacramento for a wedding, a Portuguese community celebration in Bryte of St. Anthony's Day, and parish farewell celebrations for Fathers Jerry Ryle and Andrew Koziczuk, I will go back to Phoenix this Monday night to complete the interview evaluation process at the Mayo Clinic. My major homework in coming weeks will be to identify and retain a 24 / 7 caregiver to assist me in the months immediately after transplant. That person will be with me whether it is in Sacramento, Los Angeles, Phoenix, or elsewhere, to prepare meals, oversee the taking of medications, and providing daily hygiene needs, as well as being a companion during the initial convalescence period. Pray that I will find such a person soon. Thank you for your continuing prayers, care, concern, and support. I appreciate it very much...TO BE CONTINUED......Peace + Prayers,.........Fr. Troy

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive