Wednesday, March 12, 2014

TWO YEARS OF BEING SIDELINED IN A SEA OF SENIORS FOR WHAT AND FOR WHY ?..............

Two  years ago today I discovered myself sidelined from the parish priestly ministry which I have committed myself carrying out since my Ordination to the Priesthood of Jesus Christ as a native born, local grown, vocation of the Diocese of Sacramento.  I was thrust from my parish appointment as Pastor of Our Lady of Lourdes Parish in Del Paso Heights / Rio Linda / Elverta / Robla / in Sacramento; and insensitively and prematurely, at 55 years old thrust into a senior citizens retirement residence where the other residents are decades older than me and where my priestly ministry  has been minimized.  Why I am here and remain in these surroundings without the opportunity to carry out the regular weekly ministry as a priest of presiding and preaching at Mass in an assigned setting and taking full part in parish life if not as Pastor or Parochial Vicar, then as a Priest In Residence, is frustrating and perplexing.  Especially given the capabilities I retain and the verification of my doctors that I am fit for such parish ministry and that there is no reason for me to be residing and warehoused in a sea of seniors.  Yet, here I am two years and counting striving to persevere in the priestly ministry I remain committed to serving.  The frustration of being dealt with in this manner is a great disappointment as never in my life as a disabled person have from birth, have I before treated by the local Church so indifferently and as though I am disqualified rather than disabled.  The unofficial, piecemeal, priestly ministry I have been allowed to do during this time is insufficient to my abilities and opportunities to effectively minister, just  as I have for more than two and a half decades in twelve diocesan parishes.  In prayerful discernment and with the affirmation and encouragement of a growing circle of friends and former parishioners, I have been seriously considering other options to further and strengthen my ability to productively, proactively, proceed in actualizing the fullest service possible as a disabled but still enabled Catholic Priest, fruitfully functioning outside this unnecessary personal purgatory.  In coming weeks, months, and years.  I will embrace opportunities focused particularly on Ministry to the Disabled in the light of the New Evangelization and with the inspiration of the National Catholic Partnership for Disability and the affirmation of Pope Francis' proclamations of Inclusion for all, especially those of us who are Disabled Persons, seeking the full accessibility and opportunity to participate in the Church in the fulfillment of our Baptism and Vocations as Catholic Christian Disciples and Servant Leaders of God's People.  Pray For the Sacramento Diocese, our National and Universal Roman Catholic Church, that the Inclusion and Empowerment of those of us who are Disabled  and have Special Needs may be equally, fairly, justly, welcomed and brought to fulfillment..............Reverend Father Troy David Powers

No comments:

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

I AM GLAD YOU ARE HERE VISITING MY BLOG, "INSIGHTS INTO LIFE AND FAITH BY FATHER TROY DAVID POWERS"

ENJOY READING MY REFLECTIONS ON CURRENT AND HISTORICAL CIRCUMSTANCES FACING THE PEOPLE OF GOD IN THE WORLD.

TELL YOUR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS TO JOIN YOU HERE.

GRATEFULLY YOURS,

REVEREND FATHER TROY POWERS

Followers

Blog Archive